So where are the magic rings, earrings, necklaces?

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by CrazyJoe, May 21, 2014.

1. Urza

Urza Active Member

Well if they allowed us to make Parry Mages here I would be all about shields and probably would be winning some tourneys...
  2. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Why aren't you allowed to make a parry Mage?
  3. Urza

Urza Active Member

You cannot meditate through a buckler. Making it kinda hard to play. Unless, I'm very mistaken.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

A wooden shield should not impede meditation.
  5. Moxo

Moxo Member

I think it does. :/
  6. STAVROGIN

STAVROGIN Well-Known Member

magic jewelry is the worst thing ever
  7. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There are a lot of ways magic jewelry/clothing would be a positive benefit to the game. I would dare break it down into three categories:

1. PvM/RP Benefit
      1. Night Sight jewelry, for those of us who like to hit up dungeons with dark nights enabled but get sick of casting all the time.
      2. Summon Creature, for those of us who refuse to be forever alone
    2. Crafting Benefit
      1. Strength jewelry, for the miners and lumberjacks out there who wish to haul more goods (or treasure hunters)
      2. Intelligence jewelry, for the scribes of the world
    3. Amusement
      1. Paralyze jewelry, don't put that thing on...
      2. Polymorph jewelry, she turned me into a newt...
      3. Lightning jewelry, self-casting only of course
      4. Create food jewelry, when you need a quick snack

These probably sum up what I would consider low-hanging fruit in that they should not be too difficult to implement. If we wanted to expand beyond basic mechanics we could do things like forever young (reduces chance that monsters will aggro) or the extra step (additional stealth step) or unbreakable (lockpicks don't break) or other assorted random minor "buffs" that aren't going to affect pvp in any meaningful way but still give others some interesting and unique bonuses.
  8. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

The funny thing is Mandevu, every time you add to this your again promoting others to see it. More views and more replies = more attention. So in a sense you're defeating yourself. Thanks for your continued support of magic jewelry Mande :)

I will always be a proponent of magic jewelry. As has been discussed there are features that could be added that would not impair or impact PvP at all nor introduce any element of trammel (i.e. risk free).

Since it is clear that invis impacts PvP too much it would be cool to see an item that makes you invisible to monsters for a very brief time (no aggro). I would think 5-6 seconds max and would be broken immediately if any negative action is taken by the wearer. Such an item could be used to claim one's belongings from an uber swarm of champion spawn or to allow a treasure hunter to practice his trade with more enjoyment.
    El Horno likes this.
  10. Jupiter

This voting thread is long since overdue! :)

VOTE HERE
  11. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

/facekeyboard
  12. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Last server I played UO on was UOGamers a few years ago. They had faster casting and faster cast recovery jewelry which allowed you to drop Explosion/FS/Lightning combos that hit you all at once without even fast casting the first spell. If you are going to implement magic jewelry, then you are going to have to implement magic armor that will increase your magic armor stats and you will have to allow for stat scrolls and stats to go above 100 and all that Jazz. Otherwise if you don't resist a mage's paralyze you're as good as dead. It worked on UOGamers because you could buy everything for real money. So you bought a character template. Played it for a week and get tired of getting killed so you buy a stat scroll from the shop next so you can survive the Paralyze/Dump. It was basically like playing on OSI but Fel only and you didn't have to use in game gold to buy most things. Not that in game gold was an issue... You could buy it from players with real money. It wasn't bad mechanics IMO I'm just pointing out that Magic Jewelry will potentially open doors for other changes to even out the battlefield. I don't think it can be added without other consequences.
  13. Jupiter

Hala, the issues in your post are valid, which is why I support magic jewelry that does not impact pvp.

The example you suggested above (e.g. faster casting) is thus excluded and I agree 100% that such magics should not be introduced here.

The types of magics I am proposing are things like night or other such things so long as we can confirm they do not or cannot be used to change pvp.
  14. Jupiter

@Mandevu you might have just initiated Wodan's escape macro.
    Dalavar likes this.