Suggested Trade Conduct additional rule

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Samorite, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Lichend

Lichend Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a suggestion... oh wait it's already a rule = X

upload_2021-11-25_10-5-6.png
    StarTrakZack likes this.
  2. Leeloo

Leeloo Well-Known Member

Wonder what you guys did to Brusca... he's not even FL or MiD!
  3. anightmare

anightmare Active Member

to clarify i got screwed over.... i won bid 48 hr from last bid would have been tuesday since i bid on sunday, i woke up on wednesday morning before work to see if i won bid which i did, i messaged him to say i would be able to trade when i got home from work wednesday night, i didnt even know i won bid until wednesday morning because of the 24/48 posted on auction thinking i had until at least tuesday wednesday to repsond. to my surprise when i got home from work i had messages from seller that he thought i was a troll and because i didnt respond as quickly as he wanted so he gave dragon away to prior bidder. i think it is unfair to say i am at fault here, i mean not even 22 hrs had passed from post that i won. he did offer me an alt dragon because he said he messed up, my response was i want a similar if not the same stat dragon to remedy his fault and he still has not responded. so you can all take it for how you read this information. i wanted that dragon because how good the stats were and anything less is not acceptable in my eyes. i still am willing to pay the price i won bid for, for a stated dragon to fix the situation, again still waiting for his response.... it is now sunday 4 days since i have not heard anything from seller.. very hypocritical of him
    StarTrakZack likes this.
  4. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

I agree seller is to blame here. If he needed a fast trade, then he should have said so..

To the larger question... what good is a rule going to do?

How and Who will enforce it?

In the example above, would you want staff to go TAKE the dragon from the 2nd bidder, Give it to the real winner, Refund 2nd bidder & ensure real winner pays for dragon?

Setting aside fact finding and proving wrong doing, thats alot of work just for one trade. Plus its just bad practice for staff to get involved in forcing trades to happen..

If all 3 parties were upstanding citizens in the above example, this could all get worked out amongst themselves without any staff involvement.

If they are not, feel free to call them out for their shenanigans. Warn others of their dealings... reputation is everything in Trade Forums... you should post good trades, bad trades and when someone makes a mistake and makes it right. Otherwise, what good is reputation?
    Virteego likes this.
  5. Carm

Carm Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Trading practices and rules should be up to the community at large, with no staff enforcement should a rule be broken unless it’s part of a Shard rules violation. I think people are looking at this like there should be a “legal” recourse for trades gone bad and unfortunately that’s not possible here. As Peace said, it’s reputation and each individuals actions that dictate how trades get handled here. Take actions to protect yourself and if you end up on the wrong end of a trade speak up and the community will take note.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  6. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

I may have misled with the title of the thread, its a suggestion for vendors to add to there sale, I don't want any rules and only tend to get involved if a trade sale goes off-topic
    ie:

Orion GM BD and Mr. Green like this.
  7. Carm

Carm Active Member

Yeah I didn’t think you were suggesting staff involvement Samo, was just speaking to the community at large. I think your idea has merit but the larger point is what is reasonable? I would imagine that’s up to the seller and they should be up front if they are looking for a fast trade. Personally in this day and age I like to complete trades within 48 hours unless that timeline is discussed beforehand after an auction is won.
  8. Virteego

Virteego Active Member

I have the same opinion. I generally allow 2 to 3 days for contact about the trade and then if I don't hear anything I contact them, wait a day, then move on with potential other buyers; at that point it's been at least 4 days depending on how things are going, plenty of time for the buyer to get themselves sorted.
  9. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Well-Known Member

I'm not taking sides here at all, but the bid timer would have been 24hrs since there was multiple bidders competing. Risky move only checking the forums every 46 hours, as you stated, when you're participating in an auction.
  10. Virteego

Virteego Active Member

I think you might be misunderstanding. The 24/48 hour rule is 24 hours after first bid wins if there are no other bidders, and 48 after last bid wins if there are multiple bidders.
  11. Noobenmeister

Noobenmeister Active Member

I've admitted fault to anyone who has asked me what happened. I thought the bidder was a troll, not because he didn't respond to me after he had won the auction, but because he didn't respond to me, he had not posted in over a year on the forums prior to the auction, and when I asked veterans of the server if they knew who this person was, nobody knew of the bidder. I've sold many things over the course of the last 5-6 months here, and I've waited far longer than 24/48 hours for trades. This was the first time I've ever moved to the next highest bidder... once again, because I did not think the winning bid was legitimate.... When the buyer messaged me, 40 hours after the auction had completed, I apologized and offered him my personal dragon, Rod, that is pre-bonded 7x GM 819/825/105/469 for 1 mil. He told me to effectively go screw myself and that I should just farm him another dragon.... which anyone who farms dragons knows, is not something you can just go out and do...

To clarify what seems to be a misconception here: a 24/48 auction is 24 hours if there are multiple bidders, 48 if there is 1 bidder. This is because if there are multiple bidders, you already have the necessary traction on the post for a potential "bidding war". The 48 hour timer for a single bidder allows more time for potential bidders to see the auction.

There's nothing more I can really do. I've been adequately berated on forums publicly, in forum DMs, and in discord DMs...

It certainly won't happen again.

I'm sorry.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  12. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Well-Known Member

You have it backwards, sir.
    ^standard rule.
    One likes this.
  13. Virteego

Virteego Active Member

My understanding is that 24 hours for single bidder so they're not waiting forever cuz it's not generating a ton of interest and 48 hours for multiple bidders to allow all parties appropriate time to bid due to time zones etc. Is this not the case? Can I get confirmation from multiple sources?
  14. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

72/48 for big auctions.

48/24 for standard auctions.

24/12 for I need gold this weekend auctions.

BO for straight ballers who feel confident in their pricing.

(48) for a single bid and (24) for all bids after the first one.

24/48 is dyslexia.
    One and Mr. Green like this.
  15. Virteego

Virteego Active Member

That might be why I'm confused, I've seen it posted a few times as 24/48 and I read that format as single bid/multi bid but if people are keeping the rules of that (48/24) but just shifting the format around for.... reasons? then I can understand why I'm getting it wrong.

Thanks, I'd hate to mess up someone's trade because I misinterpreted rules.
  16. Mutilate

Mutilate Well-Known Member

I think that there should be a merchant feedback option linked to each persons forum account. Just like a % scale like on eBay. Not sure how hard they would be to implement but it would definitely help weed out the trolls. You could state at the beginning of the auction “only feedback of 95% or better can bid etc”
  17. Orion GM BD

Orion GM BD Well-Known Member

This would get abused. Like at another unmentioned shard, there was a +1/-1 system for forum acct. A-holes would -1 certain players they didn't like, making it look like said player was an ass. Peeps would +1 players they liked and so its not a true way to look at some ones credibility.

I think its up to the players to police their own auctions/sales themselves and bidders to do the same.

Just as life, things don't always go the right way. Deals will fall apart for multi reasons.
    NCCML and midgetbob like this.