Suggestion: Round Based PvP to compliment CTF

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by 1-1=0, Sep 4, 2015.

1. 1-1=0

1-1=0 Active Member

Hi, just a suggestion to make for interesting play:

One of the things that irks me a bit about CTF is the Resurrection ankhs. What would be interesting to see would be a system that worked similar to CTF in terms of team signups, but where when all players on a team are ghosts, the round ends and one team wins. IE: You would have people on the team that would need to heal/cast res to put players back in the fight. It could also have CTF element, but its not necessary. I think this would be a bit more in-depth strategy and would replicate "field" PVP a little more closely.

Thoughts?
  2. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I know this may sound like crazy talk, but how about instead of trying to make a trammel replicated version of field pvp, just go out and do actual field pvp.
    Kane and Pork Fried Rice like this.
  3. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I started hastily making a post opposing Punt's opinion... got 1 sentence in and realized I agree with him.

*shrug*
  4. 1-1=0

1-1=0 Active Member

Yeah you are right regarding instituted PVP such as CTF being trammel. But if we have already gone there and have CTF why not at least have CTF field combat?

But yes I agree that CTF and other institutionized risk-free PVP is totally Trammel.
  5. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

Going out and looking for field pvp turns into either outnumbering your opponent and them not showing up or fighting heavily outnumbered. 2v3s quickly escalate to 2v5. Nice suggestion though.
  6. Mindless

I smell what you are stepping in.

But IMHO... trammel pvp perpetuates the problem.

When all of the "PVPERS" (I use this expression VERY LOOSELY) get their fix in daily... in trammel... with 0 risk of loss... they have no reason to ever come out in the field.

It used to be when you wanted to get your pvp fix in you rallied up your friends (or maned up and went out alone) and ran around the world looking for either oranges, reds, or blues to kill (depending of course)... now it seems like when people want to get their PVP fix in they rally up in IRC asking Telamon when the CTF starts.

*BARF*
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Kane, Mes and Punt like this.
  7. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I feel dirty all over, but I 100% agree with you.

I'm going to go shower now.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

got one of these for you

[​IMG]
    Kane likes this.
  9. Mindless

NEVER
    Timbo Slice and Mes like this.
  10. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  11. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Oh boy, soon blaise will be here talking about turning pvp into a champ spawn again...
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

What you are looking for is a Team Deathmatch. While I would be in favor of seeing something like that, the answer is as it has been said already, for now: Hit the field.

That said, CTF and like events, are short term and a very small fraction of the time spent playing this game. To see a TDM match type where you could get in with your team and know for certain everyone involved is restricted to the same number of teammates, in an arena with specific rulesets, would be good for learning and FUN (this is the most important part, in case anyone forgot). Also, not everyone wants to go out and die in the field losing their stuff and I can't fault those who feel this way. I like all of it, but can honestly say I have gotten at least half of my combat ability (hotkey practice, timing, team coordination) in PvP based events dating back to the first Double Domination and CTF matches I played on UOSA.

The greatest detriment of field combat is the time lost restocking, regrouping and getting back into another volley. "Quality" fights (ones that are well balanced, challenging and uncertain of outcome) are very few and far between because it's far too easy to overwhelm in your favor, or avoid the fight entirely. When you can get back into it right away, it keeps players engaged. There's only so many times folks will want to restock to hit the field in a given game play session.

I think there could be a lot of fun had in a variety of TDM matches. You could have 5x 10v10 (hard limit of sign-ups), and 0 Magery 10v10s, hell even tamer battles. It's not taboo to want to enjoy the mechanics of UO in a controlled and balanced arena, just for kicks. If some people choose to only do that, don't fret, they wouldn't have been much fun to fight in the field anyway because they would probably fold after the first death.

lol, Kane, I think you're paraphrasing about my suggestion to have Faction spawns in towns or elseware that would provide incentive for faction players to go and fight for something. I'm not sure about you, but there's only so much effort I care to give for faction blessed clothes and weaponry. If there were faction only spawns that had a fair platinum yield only to faction characters it would almost certainly be a hotspot for confrontation. Thanks for remembering that I do actually contribute, in your half hearted trash talk attempt.
  13. Mindless

To clarify: I am not 100% anti CTF...

BUTTTT... I think it's a VERY FINE LINE we are walking... and we need to be SUPER FUCKING CAREFUL.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There are players that are in CTF regularly, that will never be in Factions or out there field fighting on a regular basis. It's just a fun game within the game and takes practically nothing from any field pvp that will happen. Field pvpers will go fight in the field, regardless of whether or not they engage in the games. Granted, if we had half a dozen events a day, surely that would put a damper on the prevalence of field pvp, but an event or two a day that last less than half an hour isn't anything to worry about. For the most part, field pvpers who play these games just get pumped from them and hit the field after if they have the time.

Having a half an hour of game time that I can count on for a fun time, is a hell of a lot easier to get into than a 6+ hour fucking base defense just hoping that there's a good fight instead of 6 hours of silence or a swarm of tames and other bleh that's not even really fighting.
  15. Mindless

I get it....

and like I said; I am not 100% anti CTF.

But this is clearly a request for ANOTHER "instanced" pvp event... and I tend to disagree with the fact that we even almost need that.

Truthfully ... I just can't comprehend how this shard hasn't swallowed UO:F. It bothers me. (I dunno whether this is on or off topic, but the only thing that shard seems to have going for it is an active pvp scene)
  16. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Make it happen Telamon.
    amfeKk likes this.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Plain and simple: UOR has had a significant lack of PvP specific patches or updates, historically. Yes, some things have changed but a full review and 'perfecting' of Factions has yet to be done. The automated PvP events that many many people enjoy, are still manually triggered and only CTFs and sometimes tournaments. Nox mages still suck, there's still issues around 0 damage stun punches (from what I've heard), summoned daemons are too powerful, travel restrictions for aggression needs review, to name a few things that are commonly discussed in the pvp crowd.
    Sandro/Ezekiel was the PvP ying to Telamon's PvM/Crafting yang. As much as I don't condone or support what he did to get removed from staff, I know he was the best thing PvPers had going for them on the staff side. When he left, real passion for PvP mechanics in development went with him. I'm sure Telamon cares because he wants everyone to have their cake and eat it here on Renaissance, but undoubtedly attempting to tackle PvP related changes is one of his most frustrating and annoying responsibilities here. When we can't have mature discourse without flying into insults and trash talk when we disagree, he basically throws his hands in the air and says "fuck it, I'm gonna work on shit that the majority appreciate". Namely everything but PvP.
    I've said more than once to him in private that the last bastion of shard growth, is heavy attention to PvP. Everyone knows this is the best PvM shard on the planet right now, with the most robust website to back it up. There's literally no comparison there to any other shard. Most PvPers know that Renaissance combat isn't perfect, or has issues they won't play with until it changes. It's damn good and the best of the best know this but they're still holding their breath for the care and attention for PvP that Taming, Crafting, Fishing, Treasure Hunting and Holiday Events have gotten in the last three years.

TL-DR: PvP needs more love for more people to love it back.
  18. Mindless

Doesn't even have to be a stun... 0 damage punches don't disrupt still. Lame.

Try not to condemn us before we can even get things going... We are here, right now... trying to have civil discussion on the subject matter!

Couldn't agree more.

I truly believe that if the PVP scene here actually flourished; all of the other same era shards would collapse under their own weight and UO:R would see massive growth.
  19. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I just want to point out the part in red is wholly, fully and completely false. That just isn't what happens after CTFs. It's maybe what we'd like to happen but it simply doesn't. In fact, almost the exact opposite happens the huge majority of the time.
  20. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

I agree, huge amounts of oranges log on for ctf and log off immediately afterward. Targeted trammel.