UO:R Lockpicking Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by HateCrime, Sep 3, 2012.

1. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Real matters very little as it's not used for skill checks afaik. I would guess that there's a bug in the lockpicking logic and the bonus from detect hidden isn't being applied correctly.
  2. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Actually, LPing, as opposed to most skills, does use real in stead of shown.
  3. nightshark

nightshark Member

I am currently stuck at 76 shown, I bought detect up to 30 and I still can't pick the GM/GM box. Dexterity 27.

edit: I couldn't find anyone with 70/70 boxes or around that, and I couldn't be bothered picking chests manually to get through the threshold. I was going to raise carpentry/tinkering anyway, so I decided to raise them tonight and make a mid-level box (around 70/70) tomorrow. So if anyone gets stuck with their macros like I did and needs a box, hit me up, I'll make a few of them.
  4. ghauldin

ghauldin New Member

Hey guys, I tried to train lockpicking with player made boxes but I don't think it's working. Was something changed in the meantime?
  5. jefferyjay

jefferyjay Member

Make sure you are looking at real skill. Are you successfully picking the locks? Do you have any points on Detect Hidden? Player made boxes are specific to the skill you are working. If your skill is 70, you have to pick boxes made by a 70/70 crafter and so on.
  6. ghauldin

ghauldin New Member

It turns out my friend accidentally gave me a 30/30 box. Thanks for the reply anyways.
  7. jefferyjay

jefferyjay Member

That'll happen. Good to hear you figured it out.
  8. Rumplemintz

Rumplemintz New Member

i'm stuck at 94.7 real 95 shown what do I do here or is that good enough.

to note I have 0 Detect Hidden
  9. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

You now begin picking level 4 dungeon chests. No more tinker boxes.
  10. Rumplemintz

Rumplemintz New Member

Ahh ok good I wanted to make sure that was it before I started working detect hidden up thanks
  11. RevySabre

RevySabre Member

What needs to be added, as im dumb... LOCK DEX at 10 and do NOT macro DETECT HIDDEN till after. Those that DO make the mistakes I have will find comfort in this...Lowering dex to 25 and using a wizard hat / drinking WILL get you to 95.0 or atleast close
  12. Sarian

Sarian Member

Sounds like everyone has had the problem I'm having.

Lockpicking has maxed out at 76 show 74.2 real off a 50/50 box.
    I have a GM box, I've bought 12 detect hidden, says I cant see how to manipulate the lock. So I raised detect to 22, still says the same thing.

Does this approach not work anymore or do I HAVE to get a 70/70 box? Just want to know if I should keep raise detect hidden, or if I should start trying to find a 70/70 box.

Thanks in advance.

Edit/Update: @Sir Billy is the booommmb and hooked me up with a 70/70 box. Flyin along again. Appreciate it.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I lock my picker's dexterity at 10 upon creation and leave it that way until I've GM'd. I get to a certain point and buy exactly 12 detect hidden as you described.

I've had many lockpickers and have never had a problem.

In doing so, you can skip the 70/70 however it's apples to oranges if you think about it... unless you don't have a 70/70 box :p
  14. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I'd already gm'ed DH before I started really working lockpicking on another char. I was stuck at 76.0 shown lockpicking using both 50/50 and 100/100 boxes. I forget what the real was, but it something like 68.4. I got it moving again using a 70/70 box. No need to drop DH.
  15. Jaedan

Jaedan New Member

I believe I have this reverse engineered so I'll try to explain all of the formulas (I also think this is probably not working the way the original coder intended).

• When raising Lockpicking, the maximum skill you can gain up to is based on SHOWN skill. For a 50/50 chest, this is 76.0. For a GM chest, this is 95.0.
    • When attempting to pick a chest, the minimum required skill to attempt is based on REAL skill. For a GM chest, this is 76.0. For a level 4 chest this is in the low 90's and for a level 5 chest this is 100.
    • Detect Hidden adds (skill / 20) to your skill only during the check for whether you can attempt a chest (not your success rate check). Detect Hidden has no bonuses from stats, so its REAL always equals its SHOWN value.
    • Dexterity determines the difference between your SHOWN and REAL skill.

For the transition from 50/50 tinker boxes to GM boxes, you need to get to the equivalent of 76 REAL skill. That means you need (REAL Lockpicking + (DH / 20)) to add up to 76. The more dex your character has while leveling up Lockpicking, the more Detect Hidden you need to get to 76. Three examples from this thread:
    • At 10 dexterity, you hit 76 SHOWN Lockpicking with about 75.4 REAL Lockpicking. That means you need an additional 0.6 from your DH bonus to hit 76 and attempt GM boxes, which works out to 12 DH.
    • One person had higher dexterity and hit 76 SHOWN Lockpicking with 74.2 REAL skill. They need to gain 1.8 from their DH bonus, which is 36 skill.
    • Another person had very high dexterity and hit 76 SHOWN Lockpicking with only 68.4 REAL skill. The maximum bonus from DH is +5, so it impossible for them to transition directly to GM boxes. They could lower their dexterity and continue training on 50/50 boxes, or use a 70/70 box.
    It's significantly easier to train Lockpicking on GM boxes than on dungeon chests, so you want to maximize the amount of time you spend able to train using them. That means lowering your dexterity as much as possible so that your REAL skill is as close as you can get to your SHOWN skill. This is especially important as you approach 95.0 SHOWN skill where you can no longer train on GM boxes. You definitely want to lock your dexterity at 10 upon character creation and then wear a wizard hat. That gives you 5 dexterity. You can probably drink your way lower than that even. Contrary to a lot of opinions in this thread, however, I don't see any reason not to macro Detect Hidden up to GM right away, since it doesn't seem to impact the max SHOWN Lockpicking you can gain to.

I do think this whole thing is probably not working as intended. The more sensible way to code this would be to do everything based on either REAL or SHOWN skill (probably SHOWN like almost every other skill in the game), and the way it is working right now is probably a simple mistake. However, whether we get a fix or not, I think this is enough information to allow everyone to easily work through Lockpicking.
    Bill, Cretoma, Kash and 1 other person like this.
  16. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Hey folks -- I'm puttin' together a set of lockpickin' runebooks for Stormhold's library. Is there any point to having anything marked but level 4 chests?
    Cherie likes this.
  17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

That's subjective.

If someone's hopping on the easy money/training train and that's all they're after, then no.

If someone's doing dungeon chests for other reasons... they likely wouldn't use a pre-made library anyhow.
  18. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Is there any reason you'd ever pop lower level chests? I have no idea about any of this as I've never had a lockpicker.
  19. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

For those playing old school style, sure. For your min/maxxer type... no.
    Cherie, Christoph Brock and Vlar like this.
  20. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

I recently used this guide and only ran into a slight issue (around 70's)

My macro seemed to "blip" at times and the darn lockbox wasn't locked, and it de-railed it into a weird loop of not-lockpicking-ness.

I added this little strand, and it seemed to help out a lot! Most likely my connection issues.

[​IMG]
    Bill and Caska VS Trees like this.