Why is afk unattended buying of reagents with a macro okay?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by a white zombie, Apr 11, 2016.

afk regs buying is cool bruh

Poll closed Apr 18, 2016.
  1. noep

63.0%
  2. yeppurs

18.5%
  3. potato

18.5%
  1. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I get it.

If there is a problem, add a gump.

It'll be the new UO of the future. Hell, people complain shit here is too easy anyway why not add a required overlay of flappy bird while working a champ spawn?

Stepping away for awhile whilst your tailor fills an order via a macro? No, fak you! Finish six levels of candy crush in 30 seconds or face prison time!

HOLY SHIT! The harrower spawned! Break out your foot pads cause it's time for dance dance revolution, bitches!!

Anyway, yeah... gump regs.

But you bastards bettahnot even think about gumping potatoes.

I like potatoes.
  3. a white zombie

a white zombie Active Member

4. a white zombie

PotatOS

342584081-glados_quote_potato_by_nathanr2013-d4yqney.jpg
  5. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I have always been against the AFK buying/selling of reagents/supplies. A lack of actually playing the game shouldn't have rewards regardless of whether its an indirect gold sink or not.

It is, in my opinion, one of the major mistakes of many shards.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

So, no unattendend macroing then? Like... at all?
  7. a white zombie

Overdrawing..
    wylwrk likes this.
  8. Treasureman_Retired

Treasureman_Retired Well-Known Member

I'm not walking into this firing pit of bullets. My poor scribe spends countless hours scurrying the lands buying reagents for the people of UOR. He has in the past, gone countless hours, if not days buying these supplies for people. Is it my right to tell him he is a moron and I have to watch his every move now? Anywho, I'm sticking with the gold sink theory as it helps the economy/combats inflation. People would either have to start farming their own buys, or kiss the half a gold mark-up good bye. My regs are 85% AFK, 15% attended (sometimes I just get bored and stare at the screen). But to be fair... I could simply run my same macro and watch it and people would still be in the same boat before this argument even came up. They would still be mad because regs are gone, and I would just simply add a few cups of coffee to my daily diet.

Chris has made many wise and difficult decisions to make UOR what it is today. He nerfed many easy "gold sink" money making tactics in a effort to improve the economy and protect the shard. He knows his shit; so if he has not decided to add reg buying to the AFK gump list, then he probably has a fairly good reason for doing so. He cut me deep removing one particular AFK money making trick, but I didn't complain about it. He has been doing this a lot longer than I have, and UOR seems to be doing fairly good... Many people thought it wouldn't make it past a year, and look at us now. It is what it is.

Lastly, not to judge or misconstrue your poll. But if you wanted it to be taken seriously, a better setup would of been nice. I had trouble figuring out what to even pick.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  9. a white zombie

Made ya think about it. Great.

A Gold Sink is a one way elimination of gold.

Mathematical Example:
    1-1=0
    See how the number dropped?

Investment opportunities return interest paid along with the initial investment amount.

Mathematical Example:
    1000+350=1350

Weird, this formula reported a gain!

So, this is not a gold sink. There is little risk of loss in the ways some folks have mastered it, so there is not much of a 'sink' at all!
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

My .02, it's a weak argument to say essentially "the shard is pretty good and this hasn't been changed yet so it shouldn't be changed" because you could say that at any point in the shard's history, prior to any change, and we'd be without much of the awesomeness we have today. It's also a weak argument to say "I would just simply add a few cups of coffee to my daily diet", because the AFK miners could have said that too. And Chris made the wise and difficult decision to nerf the heck out of that.

I don't really see a difference between AFK mining, reg buying, or sheep farming. With sheep and mining, you could technically sell the stuff to NPCs to get gold without player interaction, but with the limited quantities that NPCs would buy this is pretty prohibitive and unprofitable. Realistically with all three, the profit comes from selling to other players. So in that way, I just don't see how AFK reg buying to sell to players at a profit is any different than AFK mining to sell to players at a profit, or AFK sheep farming to sell to players at a profit.

It's a shame, because I think AFK reg buying is generally a good thing for the shard... who wants to spend a Tuesday night buying up the reg vendors to 999 to replenish reagents for a month?! And it's certainly something that could be regulated by players, either in messing with the buyers' macros or starting a competing reg selling business. But it has an awfully high barrier to entry, namely outside-the-game technical knowhow, which is something that it's best not to reward players too heavily for or this will turn from a game to a coding competition. And I just don't see how it's thematically any different from the other moneymaking things that people used to do AFK but have since been GUMPed.
  11. Treasureman_Retired

I could argue mining, simply because the profit margin is much higher. After the first session of mining, you literally spend 0 gold because you can craft the tools to make shovels, and can craft shovels. Meaning you spare a few ingots to make your supplies to mine and make straight profit. The reg buying profit is much much lower. While, I am partially arguing my side to defend something that I do, I will not debunk the idea of adding it to the AFK gump list. I just don't feel it fair to compare it mining. Either way, I will agree with any decision Chris makes, because I trust his judgement. Nevertheless, I will stay true to what little ground I have left and just add coffee to my diet.

And its more like

Spend 3000g to make 3500g... Even less in large bulk orders.. but still a valid argument.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

There's a simple reason it's not gumped yet, it hasn't been abused.

I only know of a handful of players who sell bulk regs. Recall mining wasn't an issue on this server until macros were posted on these forums and every swinging dick gave it a shot, myself included. It was shortly thereafter nerfed, in hindsight it was a good idea. Point being, it's not abused so it's not a problem.

At the end of the day it's still afk gold farming, any way you look at it.

There's a lot of crap in this game I don't want to do and I'm more the willing to pay a premium for that. If I need regs and don't want to buy them from a vendor myself then I pay the markup from a player. Same with kegs. If a gump increases that premium, so be it.
    One likes this.
  13. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

afk gumps for everyone! Afk gumps already exist for selling, why not buying? For the record, I voted potato because potato.

support local, support organic, gluten free, hand picked reagents! If it wasn't local, it would be fair trade too, and workers are not paid minimum wage.
  14. Treasureman_Retired

Lets go ahead and add AFK gumps for bod gatherers too while we are at it. I'm not even sure if that is a thing, but just looking at the mechanics of getting a bod.. I could have multiple accounts with the appropriate pauses and AFK bods all day long.
  15. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Yeah but same with reg buying. There's some upfront capital the first day, then you make a profit and you can spend days 2 through infinity using that profit to buy more regs and make more profit. Either way, after day 1 of mining or reg buying, you're self-sustaining in that one activity.

I have no idea how one would decide where the line is between abuse and an acceptable amount of money for people to make via AFK macroing. Especially when you consider the amount of money made by this activity over the years.

I agree, but I'd rather pay someone a premium to actually do something as opposed to pay someone a premium because they made a macro that can run 24/7. I mean, I'd pay an NPC vendor a premium of 0.5gp/reg to buy 10k at a time, and that would actually remove gold from the economy. Isn't that better than paying a player to AFK macro?

It's not, because... there are already gumps for bod gatherering.
    The Crooked Warden and Cynic like this.
  16. Treasureman_Retired

This is where I'm out.

Communism ftw!
  17. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

I get an afk gump when collected bods pretty frequently.
    Blaise likes this.
  18. Treasureman_Retired

On a side note, I really like your Avatar picture Dalavar ... lol.
  19. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  20. Rick O'Connell

Rick O'Connell Member

This isnt entirely accurate. For example:

Player a has 1300 gold
    Player b has 1000 gold
    a+b = 2300 gold in the players hands

Player b spends 1000 gold on regs at the npc shop so player b has 0 gold
    Player a buys regs from player b for 1300...player a now has 0 gold, player b has 1300 gold

now there is only 1300 gold in the players hands....the amount of gold in the economy decreased by 1000 gold
    Skald likes this.