Why is afk unattended buying of reagents with a macro okay?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by a white zombie, Apr 11, 2016.

afk regs buying is cool bruh

Poll closed Apr 18, 2016.
  1. noep

63.0%
  2. yeppurs

18.5%
  3. potato

18.5%
  1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Player X buy's 4400 gold worth of regents from Player Y. Player Y invested 4000 gold buying the regs. That is a 91% removal of gold from the economy.

While the staff does not have an official opinion on automated macros buying regs. We have realized after 4 years that this is simply caused by the demand for reagents by players who simply want to fight, hunt or mess around without having to spend more than 5 minutes shopping.

If it gets out of hand we have a talk with the players, or in some cases make a small world mechanic change to make sure that players are not affected

(People used to macro buy regs on Ocllo, resulting in new players finding no regs. So recall is disabled in that one shop.)

As a former bulk reg seller on a previous server this is not as glamorous, profitable or fun as you think. These players serve a place in the shard economy There are probably 10 other ways to make more money. Not to mention most would add 100% gold to the economy, not remove 91% of it.

We are open to discussion on the topic, but people turning gold > reagents is the #2 gold sink on the server, after house deeds/decay.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

So, no flappy-candy-dance-dance revolution harrower gumps?
  3. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Why the focus on removing gold instead of circulating it? I think this is flawed logic. More items to choose from and in circulation = more trades, more options, more wealth for all. More active players and trading forums, etc... As described here:

4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Shadow, if this is a trolling attempt, this is not the place for it.

Additionally the last time I checked I could not:
    - Get in my car
    - Drive to destard
    - Kill dragons for 2 hours
    - Drive to the bank
    - Deposit my profits
    - Repeat Till Rich

TLDR: Real world economics only go so far into the UO world.
  5. Jack of Shadows

That's why I'm saying more items to buy with the gold, if we get more drops/plat drops we can sell to each other. I'm not trolling, I've always believed this. I understand the economy in UO is fragile, but I'm of the opinion to increase gold in players hands and balance it with items to buy makes everyone enjoy the game more. Some people work harder at this game than they do real life jobs.
    Caska VS Trees likes this.
  6. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

When I was new here 2 months ago I found it incredibly tedious and annoying that I had trouble finding the needed regs to work on my magery. Sometimes I would have them qued up to purchase and then poof, they were unavailable cause some bot was spamming the purchase.

Im not hellbent on this decision either way just offering my experience as a new player here.
  7. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I don't get it, @Chris, we arent talking about the ban to use macros etc. It's about attended vs. unattended, and you defined a clear vision and mission for this shard considering this topic.

Just as a reminder from the homepage:

"In order to combat the problem of unattended gathering and selling the Renaissance staff have created a system that will monitor these activities. Since no free shard can have staff online around the clock to respond to player complaints about unattended macro'ers an automated system was needed."

I just don't understand, why stuff has to get "out of hands" before something is done? Who defines when the limits are reached? Honestly, I see alot bots buying bulk regs during EU times, when these players definitely sleep. Often, I couldn't buy regs from mages and was forced to buy from player vendors (of players who bought that stuff admittedly AFK). And I don't care about paying a premium, but I do care if I pay for bot play or to humans who actually play that game.

And I don't care how profitable it is or not, it's done AFK and that shouldn't be allowed. One of the core ideas of this shard is that wealth has to be generated by playing the game and not running bots. Else make sheep farms on boats possible again. Make recall mining possible. Whatever, it has all been mentioned in previous posts already.

Gideon also mentioned some more very interesting aspects of game play in need of AFK gumps that I hadn't even thought about:

If that stuff can actually be done AFK (and you can bet there is a reason why Gideon would mention it), then I don't see why this isn't changed immediately, but even defended like "it's not out of hands yet".

Just force the bulk reg vendors to play attended. If they can't do that, I bet others will take their places soon enough (see Boothby). The idea that there wouldnt be any more regs to buy is absurd.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  8. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

How in the world could you afk loot gold/plat from monsters? I thought the looting changes with the random containers prevented that kind of thing? Unless its possible to power through it with a very detailed razor macro?
  9. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Afaik you cant without use of illegal 3rd party software. But let's not lose focus! AFK gumps for wealth generating gameplay!!! And please a sufficient amount of gumps, e.g. I hear tales of fishers that fish on three accounts all day and only get one gump per day --> lol?
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

If Player A buys 4000 worth of regs to sell to me for 4500, it's not removing gold from the economy. Because I needed to get that 4500 gold from somewhere like monsters and chests.

If you wanted to actually remove gold from the economy, you'd set up bulk NPC vendors who would sell reagents with a markup. That way I farm up 4,500 gold and spend it on 4,000 worth of reagents and you've actually removed 500 gold from the economy because the NPC gets it. If I give the markup to another player, you've added it by me farming it up and then giving it to that player.

It definitely is. There's a finite number of container types (ids) in Razor.
    BlackEye likes this.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I think it's people turning reagents > spells that is the actual sink. Reagents are pretty liquid and can always be turned back into gold via someone who farms up the gold.
    BlackEye likes this.
  12. Jack of Shadows

Get in car
    drive to work
    work
    check deposited to bank
    invest
    repeat til rich

TLDR = rude
    Real world economics work in UO

*drops mic*
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    a white zombie likes this.
  13. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

So reagents are only a sink when they're used for PvP, training, or polymorph parties?
  14. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

I don't see that there is a problem. If I run low on regs I grab my runebook with all the reg vendors in it and recall around and buy up what I can. I've never experienced all the vendors being sold out. And if this was actually a problem why not just set all vendors to max and have them respawn when you buy instead of more afk gumps. o_O
    Tyndall likes this.
  15. Rabbit

Rabbit Member

Wow! My experience was very different. When working up magery, on occasion, an NPC vendor would be all out, so I went to a different town and tada, regs. There are lots of towns in Sosaria! That is not to say that the premise of not wanting someone making gold afk is not still valid, but that the inability of people to find an npc reg vendor that is stocked should not be viewed as a symptom of the problem. The people that can't seem to find a stocked npc reg vendor now will still be unable to find a stocked npc reg vendor (due 100% to lack of effort). The only difference will be that the ready alternative, buying from other players, will be more expensive. If that is a cost you are all willing to pay for the principle of "no gain while afk", then that is cool.

Personally I could care less what other people do, especially when the menial profits gained are just a drop in the bucket in terms of the overall economic picture. I'll take the cheap regs!

Also the flipping part of this is where the profit is made, and that portion is not afk, whether your stocking your vendors or doing bulk trades.
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Two Little Words
    by Bob Mandrake

Don't hurry to cry and scream
    'Cause every little reg is gonna respawn tonight
    Singin: "Don't hurry to cry and scream
    'Cause every little reg is gonna respawn tonight!"

Out of reagents
    Decide to go buy me some
    Two little words
    will fill my reg bag
    Vendor buy!
    He say he don't have none for you
    That's when I cry, "Oh boo hoo hoo!"

(I'll just recall to the next town now)
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Real World Companies are not given Utility.RandomMinMax(500,750) dollars to pay their employees with. They bake and sell cakes, provide services, fix things, make things. Part of that money is paid to the employees who do said list of things.

Related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Two Little Words
    by Bob Mandrake

Out of reagents
    Decide to go buy me some
    Two little words
    will fill my reg bag
    Vendor buy!
    He say he don't have none for you
    That's when I cry, "Oh boo hoo hoo!"

(I'll just recall to the next town now)
  19. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member

Meh, change NPC vendors to stock 999 regs by default and the problem will correct itself I think.
    MikeK and wylwrk like this.
  20. Golbez

Golbez New Member

Another way to correct any AFK macroing is allowing players to disrupt/kill the macro'er. This is a fun way to deal with problems. Actual implementation? Well. No idea ;)