Why is afk unattended buying of reagents with a macro okay?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by a white zombie, Apr 11, 2016.

afk regs buying is cool bruh

Poll closed Apr 18, 2016.
  1. noep

63.0%
  2. yeppurs

18.5%
  3. potato

18.5%
  1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yeah, I'd agree with this, but it sounds like you might feel differently. Really though I wouldn't call anything a "sink" if it gives you back something that can be traded/sold/etc.
  2. a white zombie

a white zombie Active Member

Op here. It's been days since I started this shitstorm and it's time to /thread.

Late at night I poison fielded Hydrox. He wasn't afk this time. We had an argument about this topic and I've come to the conclusion that I give up.

The cost for a comm deed is 500gold. (He probably ain't using them but w/e)

Per 1000 reg, he's not making anything after the comm deed.

Might even be losing gold.

But the thing he said that got me was that he hosts resist parties from time to time. I've attended one and reaped the free benefit of all those burned up regs and the firestorm, raising my shit to 100 in half a day.
    (Maybe that's true)

I still get pissed when all of the damn regs are gone and some guy who is too far away to currently open the bank is able to bank his shit afk while I can't even open mine because the banker walked off screen.

He opens the bank while the banker is close, and oddly it doesn't close when the banker goes to lunch, so to speak.

So fuck it. Unless @Chris wants to play with bank box dynamics, I'm done here.

Countdown two days and /thread.
  3. a white zombie

Thank you all for the vivacious discussion
  4. a white zombie

And his amount of regs increased which has what, value right? don't mess with the master of circular logic.
  5. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Hydrox can burn his regs as much as he want. It's of no relevance for the logic-dictating AFK gumps. And you can bet that all the other AFK buyers don't hold freesist parties. By pure coincidence ( :rolleyes: ) some of them most(!) belong to the top 1% here.

If the mechanics would allow players to handle this issue, I would have no problem with it. But right now that's not possible, e.g.

You would have gotten a talk with staff about discouraging behaviour and griefing in cities. It happened before to others at least.
  6. a white zombie

Really? ? We are a shard of pussies if we can't cast on other players in town. It's hand holding and cuddly enough that I can't release a pet in town. The truth is I can cast in town so I will. Get jailed an lmfao if that's the case. How about Trammel for the players who want all the reward and none of the risk.

No running in the halls.
    No swimming after meals.
    No up skirt photography.

No way!
  7. a white zombie

I'm unhappily married, I can filter out useless talks and such from staff and wife alike. It won't do much good, tbh.

That's just how I feel.
  8. BlackEye

Well, let's see if it happens in case you do it. Just saying it happened before. +1 /dethread, it's obvious that Staff isn't considering AFK gumps although the poll is very one-sided. It's always funny to see, who is voting for what.
    a white zombie likes this.
  9. a white zombie

Today we mash potatoes.. /thread asap. Done here!
  10. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

And those regs are worth less than the 1300 he paid for them... that's the real sink right there. I used to sell at .8 above cost. So for every 1k of regs I sold, the economy lost 800 gold. It sure isn't a lot to sink, but it tries to make up for it in volume

Actually the more I think about it, at transaction time, its more about wealth transference. Value does not leave the game until those regs are used. The use of those regs sinks gold out of the economy, The EASE at which you can obtain massive quantities of those regs, encourages more use, thus more sink.

and Yes I used to hold freesist session and fund/support others... I Did it for the love of the game, Not as any insurance policy against getting my buyer killed :)
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    The Crooked Warden likes this.
  11. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

Zero. IMO, the line is at ZERO.

-------

I'd first like to question an assumption:

Why should vendor reagents (and a few other things) ever run out in the first place? It is an essential resource not reasonably obtainable by other means. I can not go mine/chop/anything else for reagents.
    BlackEye likes this.
  12. BlackEye

They wouldnt run out. Not at all. Other, attended playing gamers would take the spots if necessary. This thread isnt about abolishing bulk reg vendors, it's about people pushing a button, going to bed and waking up with +100k reg each.
    One likes this.
  13. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

I meant the npc vendors. I don't see any reason for them to run out other than inconvenience. The reagents more or less must be purchased from them, so why not just let people buy as much as they want? Instant restock to 999.
    Hydrox likes this.
  14. Hydrox

Hydrox Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm all for an afk gump, i just think the mechanics of it are going to slightly hinder afk buyers but aggravate regular players. Unless the mechanics were similar to how lets say....... Selling jewels to the jeweler cuz I never get one from there. I've been in plenty of heated debates on IRC about people hating on my reg purchasing in del. I've countered with purchasing from every mage shop in the game for an entire weekend thus resulting in an even larger issue with players not being able to aquire regs from anywhere in the game thus not only causing a monopoly, but forcing players to buy regs at an upcharge, or just not have regs at all.

People have tried to kill me, plenty of times in del, and with a smile on my face, I wait till I'm at 1/4 life, they've died 20 times in a row, and healed myself and asked them how their doing.

Fact of the matter in my sakes is that I'm a coder. I run 3 monitors at home. Netflix, Work, Client... An AFK gump wouldn't bother me any personally, and as for all the arguments sake's about it being a gold sink. Yeah bud. Would hate to break it but collectively between myself and the other 3/4 Large sellers in the business. We probably run about 2 mil a week to my estimations if not more during holidays/events. That's alot of freakin gold a month/year, and thus does contribute a huge sink in the economy.

I don't have a tamer, I have one 7x GM Char. My business here is being a middleman. It's a part of everyday life. As for the "millions" being made "afk" Buying and restocking multiple vendors in game, fulfilling orders, inscribing, and other avenues of reagents. You do realize at a .75 markup, not including vendor costs, and commodity deeds, you realize one would have to sell over («- important word there) 1 million reagents to make a million. I don't think this part of the argument is really thought about. Not to mention the competition, and people who sell at .45 over.

I make my coin PVM'ing and house trading/selling. Personally, I also play hand in hand with a good friend Dominic, so all that i have hasn't been generated by just myself.

Point is, I used to buy in vesper with Peace. People complained, vendors got moved. I went to del because despite it's more populated than vesp, it's been working, and I always leave a vendor out of my macros to enable people to purchase in the event they're stuck in del.

There are people that multi client 3x at champ spawns generating plat, excessive gold, & fame.

That's annoying to me. Am i gonna bitch about it? No because it's a damn game and anyone that's gonna get their panties in a bunch over something another player does that they assume is a gold rush with zero/minimal work is ridiculous.

So as it be, if there's an afk gump installed on the server, it ain't gonna hurt my business one damn bit, so I vote "don't give a shit".

Now I'll be hosting another week long Resist / Casting / Healing event in May, anyone that is interested in participating please shoot me a PM,
    [http://uorforum.com/threads/free-week-long-resist-casting-healing-event.16447/]

--And don't forget to Buy your bulk regs at
    --Yew Emporium on Vendor Shako behind Yew Bank
    --Karan at the Occlo Small Marble Bank House
    --Or many other vendors such as the small tower on the lower east side of Yew Bank (Duno who owns that now)
    --Hasselhoff Industries are said to increase +1 on spells because they're brought in from the Chinese market and aren't FDA regulated.
    --and many other vendor houses aswell!
    Orion GM BD, Basoosh and One like this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  16. Hydrox

Hydrox Well-Known Member

That's a great idea I think, however now for players that do make a living off of reg buying are going to be limited daily, thus less sales, less gold dump, overall just kinda ruins it for the sellers. Can't Nerf people's business.. I think an gump is the only real solution if your trying not to piss people off.
    One likes this.
  17. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Lets create spawning mobs in mage shops, no recall in or out, Reagent Specific pruning shears that you must use to get reagents after beating up the BloodMossBoss...

/sarcasm

In the grand scheme of things, how big of a problem is this really???

Its not ruining the economy.
    Regs can be found in the many shops across the land - minor inconvenience
    If you cant take that minor inconvenience, then go to the reseller that's what they are there for.

Atleast their gold generating activities provide a valuable service.... How many non crafters can say that?
    Ahirman and Hydrox like this.
  18. Hydrox

Hydrox Well-Known Member

^ "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes" "likes"
  19. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

All of this can be said about AFK mining.

Yeah for sure. This is how Treasureman bought all the houses on Marble Island and all his other stuff. He lost so much gold in his reg business that his bank balance bugged and wrapped around from negative to positive.

BTW, I agree with this, I'd like to say Zero as well, but then you get into things like turning bolts of cloth into fancy shirts which IIRC can be sold at a profit. Or scroll-making. Both of which could be done for non-AFK-moneymaking reasons (i.e. GMing the skill) but would become illegal if all profitable activities were GUMPed.

And yeah, it's cool for era accuracy and feel purposes to have the vendors and their stupid little stacks of stuff, but the tradeoff of allowing people to make millions AFK thanks to some nice Razor scripting seems to tip the scales towards this being something that could be "perfected".
    Hydrox and BlackEye like this.
  20. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Personally, I like to draw the AFK line at skill gain. Beyond that, I do not like it and it discourages actual gameplay. Having made more gold than any player ever should by legally AFKing things on other servers, I came to the conclusion that there are no overall positives to it.

Does it ruin my day to see people doing it?

No.

Does it annoy me when a bot buys all the regs that this old-fashioned point'n'clicker was in the process of buying?

Yes.

Do I think its absurd that I can't fight back in an even and realistic fashion?

Yes.

Why?

There is no risk. I've ran these macros in the past. There is no true risk and there is only profit for the "effort" of hitting play. On previous servers I would actually kidnap the Vendors to stop people from AFK churning in excess, but that is not allowed and town killing is heavily frowned upon. This leaves an imbalance in this part of the game.

In the end, I simply think anything beyond skill gain should be fully attended in this mmorpg. Just because we've already accepted that LACK of real interaction in skill gain does not mean we should add to it.

We need less mindless people at the keyboard not actually playing the game, not more....
    One, Tyndall and BlackEye like this.