Fighting Gold Inflation

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by MikeK, May 14, 2015.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Just back of the envelope here, I'd guess 50% of all high-end masks and sandals have changed hands at least once.
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

If there was to be an uber expensive trammel clothing vendor, it really should be binded to that persons account. Or else you potentially devalue my masks, and that is not ok....

And for those who say housing speculation adds nothing to the server. Wrong. It adds player enjoyment. I enjoy playing a game where you can speculate on markets, be it the rares market, or the housing market. As gideon mentioned, house speculation is one of the worst places to store your gold here.

I for one truly enjoy the sprawling land grabs that take place after big idocs, where all you gotta do is get a small piece of the land and you now have a valuable small house that you can sell or buy out the rest of the smalls. This is the kind of stuff that makes UO super unique.

When I was new here I did just that to make good sums of money. I didn't have the capital for a large house so placing blocker smalls and selling them to more established players allowed me quick entry into the big housing market.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  3. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Dude I've been here for like 6 months and have managed to obtain considerable wealth, i.g. the two keeps yesterday. Trying to say the end game here is unobtainable is just ridiculous, get out and farm.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Not even remotely close.
  5. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

valorite hammer is near unobtainable.. i cant take it anymore
  6. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

hats off to captainmorgan and dalavar.. blaise... ya... that guy.....
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Dalavar and amfeKk like this.
  8. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

For anyone who remembers the reason this thread started, its to generate "ideas" to combat long-term inflation. Will any of these ideas actually be used? maybe not, but if needed, the staff has these player generated ideas to work with. I have listed all the ideas us players have come up with, so the rest of you can quickly see the results. If I missed your idea or didn't list it as you intended please let me know.

1. More mask & sandal color options obtainable by gold and possible bound on purchase.

2. Carpet, ladder, & other dye tub options obtainable by gold.

3. Additional character slot(s), maybe gold or plat.

4. Expanded bank box obtainable by gold, and shared bank upgrade options.

5. Gold bought player plaques that can be placed in public areas (museum, graveyards, other).

6. Throw gold down to help design a new boss monster (the old kickstarter approach).

7. Invest gold to put a book into circulation (randomly spawns around the world where books are found).

8. Gold bought stone paver dye tub.

9. In-home NPC vendors for buying regs, selling gems, other (maybe similar to contracted vendors)

10. Charge gold for bank sitting (taxation)

11. Gold bought hanging baskets, plants, and flowers similar to dried herbs.

12. Special GM placed houses (water houses, cave house) that are auctioned off by the admins. This could be great for rp guilds!

13. Vendor name change deed.

14. New boat designs, bigger, wider, maybe with trash barrel.

15. Com crystal bless deed

16. Temporary blessed runebook deeds obtainable by gold.

17. Gold bought rune dye tub, limited uses.

18. Single blessed pouch/bag (possible restrictions on trapping)

19. Gold bought house placards, monster/animal statues, animated items such as fire places.

20. Township stones, such as Angel Island had.

21. Virtue based system where players can earn titles and play gold to enable them.

22. PvP tournament with large gold entrance fee, all rewards are titles/items.

23. Armor patch kit (or other method) that costs gold to upgrade masks AR.

24. House/Property tax

25. Change plat rewards to cost ~%20 gold. For example, 100plat item would costs 80plat & 200k gold.

Gold house upgrades:

26. Doors can change opening direction

27. Teleporters like ones used at banks (could be placed between houses)

28. House material dye tub, changes log cabin into stone, or stone to marble ect… (not sure if graphics for this exsists).

29. Gold bought house additions to increase lockdowns/secures amount.
    Arawn, MikeK, Heretic and 5 others like this.
  9. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Indeed. In this theoretical gold sink shop of trammel wear, the 10 mil spent on sandals or a mask or whatever it may be is gone forever. Even if someone resells said trammel item it doesn't matter. They can resell it and get their 10 mil back but its another 10 mil not the 10 mil that was eradicated upon purchase.
  10. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I have an idea for gold sinks, long convoluted forum posts about absurd tax changes to the game. The more you post here, the less you earn in game. Problem solved
    Iago likes this.
  11. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

These are the ones that fit my criterion of immediately removing gold from the system and not replacing it with something that can be sold for gold.

Thanks for summing this up Keza.

EDIT: Sadly, you cannot create a forum poll with this many options.
    MikeK likes this.
  12. Ducky

Ducky Well-Known Member

I placed a fort about two months ago on green grass just sitting there, no idoc fighting, just open land. Just throwing that out there...

Now obviously this isn't typical but I find it really hard to chew that there is some sort of housing problem here, there is so much room on this server to place a home, up to a tower, its almost comical to hear people complain about housing.

The real estate market aspect of UO is a Huge one to me personally, and in every mmo I have ever played I have never found one that equals it, I cant be alone on this.

(the following isn't directed at any one person)
    So you cant afford that Yew prime time shop, or that 31x31!!!!! fort(idk how you deco it anyhow since you cant afford the premium)... This sounds like the whining that made Ultima in its later years and every MMO after it a "newbied" game where everyone is the same.

Side note once again I think expanded bank accounts is a bad idea.. :D
    Andersonius and El Horno like this.
  13. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I'd pay a mill for a damned second trash barrel on the top floor of my fort.....
    MikeK, Blaise and Andersonius like this.
  14. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Player enjoyment isn't always an addition to the server (e.g., heavy griefing, abusing mechanics, and a wide variety of other issues on OSI which have been "perfected" here, but which many players derived enjoyment from). If the player enjoyment comes at a severe costs, it's worse than adding nothing.

And, besides, you're in luck! Players will still be able to speculate with house taxation, it will just cost more to do it.

A million over deed on keeps is over 2x deed price, a million of deed on castle is 2x, 2 million over deed on forts is 2x deed price, the two recent keeps which sold yesterday sold for between 3x and 5x deed price. You wouldn't agree to buy iron ingots "a little over cost" and then calmly accept and buy them if they were 16gp, because that's simply ridiculous. "A little above" can be relative, but 200% cost is not "a little above."

Upper tier housing may not be completely stagnant, but the sale of a few forts (which is 3% of the castle/forts) over a quarter doesn't exactly give weight that it isn't mostly stagnant.

Or, just like the whining of people who can afford multple forts/keeps and don't want to pay a housing tax. Hilariously the same whining about housing changes which caused trammel and various area expansions to allow more house placement. It's okay guys, we could have a housing tax without the sky falling and you're just as much overreacting whiners as anyone else. You can do everything you could before with the housing tax, it's simply more expensive to do things which people recognize can be harmful to the server in large amounts.

Well, no one wrote that, but you really showed the fictitious person you're arguing against.

Yes, thanks Keza for putting all that info into one post. I have to agree with Dalavar, gold sinks need to remove the gold from the system and not replace it something which can simply act as the same. Maybe we could do a poll tourney, with different seed ideas and whittle them down to the champion.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  15. El Horno

Lago, of all the ideas Keza listed, why are you so stuck on the worst of them all? Glance over the list. Tons of those ideas accomplish what this thread is all about while being something players want to spend their gold on. For some reason you are just stuck on taxes, which based on the math done on this thread, would barely even dent the inflation issue.

You literally are championing an idea that is admittedly designed to be a hassle? wtf? If when proposing ideas, the main point of said idea is to be a hassle for the playerbase, you have a shitty idea.

As tons of people have already mentioned, there are many many many open housing spaces.
    [​IMG]

Again, there is a simple theory floating around here that I, and many others seem to agree with.

If taxation was the only thing we could come up with, then sure it might be the best option, but Keza made a nice list of better ideas. Why on earth would we get behind the fundamentally flawed idea? You can argue until your blue in the face, it doesn't change how flawed the idea is.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  16. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  17. El Horno

I wanna see.
  18. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

El Horno and Basoosh like this.
  19. El Horno

20. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I think taxing would have worked just fine if it were in UO from the outset. Housing availability and gold inflation are two separate issues, and I think there is some temptation to go for the 2-birds-1-stone approach with taxing. And probably rightfully so. Taxing probably would be a boon for long-term economy health.

The problem is you'll never convince the majority of players to bite on it. It's not fun. It's painful. It's a hassle(hoff). It does not resemble "core UO" at all. People don't even like an aggressive ore golem in their favorite mining cave because it differs from the good ol' days. Changes that are painful, even if it's for the overall good of the server's economy, are never well received. (see 2013-14 mining changes). I believe that you will turn away more players than attract with taxes.

Lucky for us, neither of these problems is out of control on UOR (yet). Gold inflation can be tackled by systems that players actually want to engage in. Housing availability will be a tougher pill to swallow, but I don't think we're at the point yet where it needs to be addressed.

But it's not eradicated - it just turned into a 10 mil mask. Unless that mask is bound to your character/account, that 10 mil has not left the economy. A shop without binding is a fun way to spend money, but it is not removing money from the economy.

Similarly, if I go and buy 10,000 nightshade from an NPC, that in itself is not removing money from the economy. My 30,000 gold has simply turned into 10,000 nightshade. I can still use that nightshade to purchase goods from another player, or I can straight up sell it to another player. Not until that nightshade is actually consumed is that money gone from the economy.
    MikeK, Iago, Gideon Jura and 2 others like this.