Fighting Gold Inflation

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by MikeK, May 14, 2015.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Admittedly my rune library and small tower are partly vanity projects of this ilk. But unlike the "hall of heroes", at some point in my life I'm going to forget about refreshing them and all that crap is going to flood back into the economy. It really would need to be a static thing (GM-placed, etc.)

Murder counts are a hassle. They were implemented precisely because they would be a hassle. The question is whether the hassle is used to encourage something that would be a preferable outcome for the shard. Most people believe murder counts passes this bar; it is no stretch to accept that some would believe house taxation would pass this bar as well.

ITT: liberals becoming conservative before our very eyes!
    MikeK, Volkov and Iago like this.
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  3. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Good analogy.
  4. Gideon Jura

5. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Iago starts with an i
    302145_1253518896748_full.jpg

like having house decay at all... or making recall mining harder or impossible... wait a tick. The same is true for any variety of other topics, like forcing murders to have short and long counts for pking, or basically prohibiting them from going into guard zone. Sometimes making things more difficult makes the game better. According to you, shitty ideas are any ideas which are a hassle for the player base, but causing hassles can make the game better. There is no reason to think causing hassle, as a category, makes an idea either flawed or bad. Your criticism are simplistic and easily countered. And then you're left repeating what is essentially "it's a bad/flawed idea," but repeating an assertion convinces no one.

I like to discuss ideas and thought the criticisms of house taxation were poor, so I addressed them. It would have been best if house taxation had been on the server from the beginning. Discussing ideas everyone agrees on, like trammelwear^tm vendors is neither interesting or enjoyable.

I'm not going to argue over analogies. You're telling me that if I told you I'd sell you a marble table "a little over cost," explaining I bought marble ingots for 500gp, and then quoted you a price which was double what it cost me to make, you would think "yeah, that's a reasonable description"? Really? Eh, whatever, you can go down with that ship. It's not even on topic.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  6. Gideon Jura

7. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Gideon changes his mind once he gets phat, RL analogies abound!

We are the 99%!
  8. Gideon Jura

Swizzlesticks, Basoosh, Keza and 3 others like this.
  9. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Hey, that is a good idea. We could make the upgrades cost some cash and we have a gold sink to boot.

We could have some rewards restricted to players who own the house for X number of weeks, similar to how you need to be a year old to wear valorite robe/cloak.
  10. Gideon Jura

11. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

12. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Although I do believe you are insignificant I wouldn't say you're fictitious
    Iago likes this.
  13. Milkman

Milkman Member

Township stones would be sweet. Tons of possibilities there. I have no idea how difficult that would be to implement though.
  14. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Well, here's the rest of that paragraph:

We already determined counting was a problem for you, we might as well throw reading comprehension on top of that pile. Do I need to underline the relevant parts or can you take it from here? Ah, I'll go ahead and underline it.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  15. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

And the line directly after it states that you believe it is somewhat a problem, do you not read your posts before posting them?

I'll tell you what I see here, I see a few new players who seem envious of the older vets who put in the time to have tons of gold and prime real estate. Rather than take the same path they did and make wealth of your own you seem to be more interested in the depletion of their hard earned assets. I feel like if you had actually spent as much time and effort as some of the vets that you've been arguing with your opinion in this matter would be completely different. While you're in here acting like you know something about the economy on a shard you've spent little time on I'll be out collecting more wealth for you to be bitter about, good day sir.
    Andersonius likes this.
  16. Iago

Iago Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe the end-game is getting more endgame and at some point will be so end-game that it is essentially unobtainable for anyone starting on the server. This is not "trying to say the end game here is unobtainable." In fact, it explicit notes the opposite in the part I underlined and the second part of the sentence qualifies with "somewhat." I can type comments out for you but I can't understand them for you. I blame the schools.
    Arawn, MikeK, Delitem and 1 other person like this.
  17. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Lol I realize now that I'm dealing with a very small person with a very large ego, and as such I will not feed into your poor argument any longer as I've already wasted more time than I would have liked to.
    El Horno likes this.
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I want Town guilds that you have to pay to become a member, you get discounts for that town.
    ReZon likes this.
  19. Gideon Jura

20. Gideon Jura