Gumps and idoc timers

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jack of Shadows, Dec 14, 2016.

Should afk gumps be added to prevent afk reg buying and on item iding house signs?

1. Yes, gumps should be added to both and idoc timers randomized

61.2%
  2. Gump should be added to afk reg buying and item id on house signs only

16.3%
  3. no gumps

22.4%
  1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Only when we do them. We were hammering them out and people were crying. We stopped and so did the crying.
  2. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Wrong. Lies.
  3. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Well-Known Member

http://uorforum.com/threads/is-it-good.16649/

Where does the crying stop? Where will it end? I love this game, love the server, but all the time cry cry cry... I just can't handle it anymore, I very rarely post anything of this sort but man its just endless...
  4. BlackEye

What's so scary about that?

Btw, half of your IDOC group agrees to add gumps. You also said, that it won't impact you much. So what? Most people agree by now. Nevertheless, it won't happen.
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

My issue with this proposal is:

Some people want to affect others' playstyle because they don't play that way, and the others are "wrong", so it is their moral obligation to suggest solutions to correct that "wrong".

Why restrict? Why impose more barriers to diversity? This is called social engineering. A small group are doing something different, let's all pile on so we stop them and they do everything WE want them to do, like WE do it! Conform to what the mayority wants!!

Then comes the argument: Oh, the game wasn't intended to be played that way!!

Well, surprise, surprise, neither was it intended to be played with Razor! Why don't we get rid of that?

Dalavar: Yes, it is a slippery slope, and we will continue to go down it until the "masses" say that it is enough. So we should all conform to what the masses want? There should be no thinking outside the box?

I can guaran-f'ing-tee it that with a crew of 4 it would take us probably a month, and we could use only razor legal macros to dominate rare spawns and never miss one. AFK gumps or not. I have been a part of such crew before, and there would be no way of stopping it. I don't do it because I have neither the interest or time.

People are smart. And the people who have the time to dedicate to IDOCs will have time to just build a better mouse trap.
    Cynic and Ron Jeremy like this.
  6. BlackEye

Yeah, then get rid of all custom content please. All AFK gumps are restrictive. Golems in Caves are restricting recall mining. Sheep farms have been made non-functional because of restrictions. The lumberjacking system message has been made non-functional. All the extra guards in towns that never existid on OSI are restrictive. The custom trade safety for items that have been traded is restricting scammers. The custom harrower changes are restricting any newbish player (negative points, no way to earn platinum as before), the increased weight of rares is restricting thieves, the non-stealability of all tailoring BOD deed rewards is restricting me, the event center is restricting anybody from having a pure Felucca gameplay.

Dude, I could go on all day. There have been custom systems implemented on this shard to prevent a certain style of gaming. The AFK-gump introduction thread explicitly states this:

"Any player doing one of the activities listed below will have a chance to be presented with this gump ingame.
    • Mining
    • Lumberjacking
    • Fishing
    • Gathering Items (Cotton, etc)
    • Attempting to place a house using automated means.
    • Shearing Sheep
    • Selling Items to NPC vendors.
    • Gathering Rare Items
    • Clicking on House Signs While Dead"
    All these systems are restrictive. And there is a good reason for it.
    Dalavar likes this.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

BlackEye hit most of what I'd have said.

I will also add:

This literally has nothing to do with the original post and is why this thread got derailed. Go back and read Jack's post again. He specifically says his proposal is so people play more actively. Nowhere is he complaining about who "wins" IDOCs all the time, or how this change would alter that power structure. Everyone else turned it into some kind of referendum on effort and reward and communism and crap that had nothing to do with the original idea and poll.

Restrictions FOSTER diversity. What is the one thing we all can macro to our heart's content? Skill gain. How many different ways do people work their Macing skill? Precisely one. They sit in their house and run a macro with their second account. If skill macroing was restricted (banned), you'd have people working the bone knight wall like in the old days, or finding any number of other ways to increase these weapon skills.

There's literally a saying for this: necessity is the mother of invention.
  8. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I agree!! While a lot of the custom stuff ADDS content to gameplay (event center), which is fine for occasional events, some other restricts certain styles of play and I am completely against them.

AFK gumps are to prevent people from gaining in game wealth while AFK. The ghost house sign, I assume as I said before, is because you cannot code clicking with razor. So it is an easy lock to discover players using illegal 3rd party programs.

Golems in caves are a minor inconvenience for recall miners. No more so than the AFK gump. So, since you can't recall mine AFK anyway, you can recall away from a golem in the same way as you can click on an AFK gump.

I agree extra guards, extra safety features, added weight of rares, etc. are limiting to certain aspects of gameplay, and I wholeheartedly support their correction!

Is there really a good reason for extra guards?
    Cynic likes this.
  10. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

This thread is in danger of collapsing.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Two points:
    1.- Why want to force people to "play more actively"? Will this actually make them play more actively? People play when they can. I can almost assure you that those bots, IF attended, have another client running which is being used for something else. If they're not attended, then they'd be sitting inside a house collecting plat and padding the online number count. NOT resulting in having more people "active".
    2.- My example is a way of illustrating the invention you mention later in your post! IDOCers will find a way around and beat the system without adding more "active" playtime.

I COMPLETELY agree!! Except you're picking and choosing. Yes put gumps to using the Item ID skill, but don't put gumps to using the...healing skill. What will happen? Dedicated IDOCers will build a better mouse trap. That's it.
    Cynic likes this.
  12. Dalavar

That's a good point, though I'd rather see someone sitting in a house accumulating platinum versus writing a small, stupid computer program to give them a significant advantage when they're back at the keyboard.

Well yeah, we're using our brains to pick and choose rather than just jumping on the slippery slope and riding it to the bottom. I think the shard has done a good job so far of navigating the slope rather than just throwing hands up in the air and saying all-or-nothing.
  13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Every skill should have an AFK gump check, in fact, a crucial part of PVP should be how fast you can identify objects and respond to the gump.

The fishing gump should also trigger twice as often as other gumps (if it doesn't already).
    Blaise likes this.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Fuck yes, and can we get a stealing gump to have thieves validate they are stealing intentionally and attended?

While we're at it, can we make sure there's a prompt every time you stealth to make sure you wanted to remain stealthed?
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I mean, we could, but I don't think there's any question about those activities being done unattended for gain.

And guys, I don't mean to lecture anyone - but it's difficult to have a civil discussion when both sides can't meet and discuss things rationally without responding to everything with sarcasm and personal attacks.

If I responded to those two comments with HOW ABOUT WE JUST MAKE IT TEST CENTER WHERE YOU CAN ADD EVERYTHING AND NOONE HAS TO EVER PLAY THE GAME then I would have responded in kind, but we wouldn't further the discussion in any way.

But then again, derailing the thread might be the whole reason you're here.
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

But then again, it is a level playing field. The recipe is out there for anyone to do it.

So Jack's "Let's add a gump to get people more active" argument, becomes "let's add a gump so people don't gain an advantage, that anyone can gain, while AFK". And when you phrase it like that, it sounds less as a proposal for more active gameplay and more as ... whining?
    Cynic likes this.
  17. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Questions.

I'm curious what other group(s) are out there right now that are organized and competetive in the idoc business.

Do they also have a PR manager and have any feedback on this propsal?

Note: I peronally have zero interest in a solo player's feedback on my question as I've more that enough in this thread already, thank you kindly.
  18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Probably none.

I actually am a solo player who does not IDOC, nor am I a PR manager for anyone, believe it or not. I just am opposed to restriction for the sake of apeasing the masses who can't get organized and win.

The premise of this thread is a fallacy, and people have not seen it. Tell me how a gump will create activity for the shard? I fail to see it.
  19. Dalavar

(a) please don't be that guy who makes personal attacks

(b) "let's add a gump so people don't gain an advantage, that anyone can gain, while AFK" is the argument that staff and an overwhelming majority of players agree on for
    • Mining
    • Lumberjacking
    • Fishing
    • Gathering Items (Cotton, etc)
    • Attempting to place a house using automated means.
    • Shearing Sheep
    • Selling Items to NPC vendors.
    • Gathering Rare Items
    ...so to call it whining is sort of a weird thing to say about a system you've already bought into by playing here yourself...
    BlackEye and Mes like this.
  20. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

(a) sorry, not trying to call anyone names.

(b) except THOSE advantages are tangible and, in most cases, are reflected into the character's backpack. And I love that the system is in place for that. For using the item ID skill? It's like claiming I can't afk macro discord because I have a tamer and can park a dragon in my house and that gives me an advantage over non tamers.