Newbie Bard Dexxer: Tact vs Anat

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by BNB, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BNB

BNB Member
    UO:R Donor

Hi all,
    My first character here is a bard dexxer following the below template:

Fencing/Tact/Heal/Anat
    Music/Provoke/Peacemaking

Currently macroing for 7x. Some questions though. I realize that with 0magery, it is still possible to recall with scroll but it will be a pain. And once my young status is gone, failing recall once = death with PKs. So I've be advised to take up 20magery. For sure I can not drop weapon skill or any of the music skills so I'm down to take 20points from tact/anat/healing.

I've read a guide on here saying 90heal is enough but on IRC people were saying 90heal means 10% fail on heal, which is huge. Is this true? If this is true, I will have to take 20 from anat or tact.

On IRC I was advised by some experienced players to take 20 from anat. Upon further review of the skill break down.

This is what I will lose from dropping 20anat:

14% damage (4% from the 20points lost, and 10% bonus at GM lost)
    5% chance to land para blow
    4points of bandages heal

Wouldn't it be better to take 20points from tact?

I will lose:

20% damage (1% damage per 1 point of tact)

That's trading 6% damage for 5% chance to land para, and 4 points of heal.

Thoughts? It doesn't make sense though, it seems all the guides say drop anat if i have to, but unless I missed something, it seems dropping tact is better for 20points. The math will change if its more than 20points since the 2 skills scale differently.

Finally is 20points enough for magery recall with scroll? What is the break point for 100% chance to recall with scroll?

Thanks so much!
  2. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Okay, first thoughts, and you might not wanna hear this: Drop one of the bard skills. Very seldom do players here have both provo and peace without magery.

If you are bent on having both of them, which can be good, but is *very* situational, I would drop down Tactics. You damage is going to suffer from your weapon, but with provo or peace, you are either mitigating damage from the mobs, or forcing them to damage each other.

Needing to recall in and out, and having as high a chance to heal as you can is always a good idea.

I would buy magery up to 30, not train it to 20. 30 with scrolls is nearly 100% success, if I am remembering correctly.

So that means another 10 points from somewhere right? If your damage is coming from the mobs mostly (provo) I would think about dropping Fencing to 90.

Again, it depends on how you want to deal damage. It seems like this build is HUGE on the CC. Provo, Peace AND paralyze hits are a crazy amount of CC. Possibly too much. If you are going to also work up healing, and you are, you should trust that to keep you alive.

However, the *most* beneficial defense against PKs is not skill points; its being smart. Know where you are, know how to escape, know the entrances, exits and choke points. Have an escape macro set up and bound to a key you can hit at any time. Have razor options on that show names of approaching players. Keep eyes on IRC for when you see PKs getting tagged. Just play smart. It doesnt matter if you are x7 GM in anything if you are not being attentive.

Welcome to UOR!

~Krake
    Rextacy, One and Keza like this.
  3. BNB

BNB Member

Thanks for the quick reply Lord Krake!

Yes I've been hearing everyone say pick 1 of the bard skills not both. I will likely drop peacemaking eventually for a mix of magery and hiding. Or even convert the char into a bard mage and take discord for champ spawn (i hear its needed)

But for now, I do want as much CC as possible since its my first char to build up my gold.

Is my math correct though regarding calculations of tact and anat? I'm not necessary fixed on 20points, I just want to confirm the numbers so I know which to pick. I'm just using 20 as a sample number.

Dropping 20 tact I lose 20% damage

Dropping 20 anat I lose 14% damage, 5% para blow, 4pts of bandage heal
  4. Lord Krake

You would have you ask the greater community on exact numbers, but 20% sounds like way too much to lose if you drop 20 points of tactics.

Also, because you are new, you wont be aggroed by mobs in Occlo until you leave Young status (unless you already have done that) which further supports you not needing all the CC you can get, just what you need.

I would keep anatomy up higher, as it affects more things in the game, as you see.

Discord for champs is also really subjective. *Most* people use tamers on champs, not dexxer bards. So if you wanna champ, start building up that tamer, is my advice, or jump into a champ guild that would welcome a dexxer bard (again, tamers kinda rule champs). Discord is good for bosses, which are different than champs.

Either way, play what you want and what you think is fun. Gold here is pretty easy to make, once you get a system down!

~Krake
  5. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Why not do this:
    100 Fencing
    80 Tactics
    100 Anatomy
    100 Fencing
    90 Healing
    100 Music
    100 Provo
    100 Peace
    30 magery

Its similar to what I have on my Axer and you dont really lose anything. Healing at 85+ work 100% of the time (unless your fingers slip). Throw on any +20 or +25 tactics magic weapon and your golden!
    Lord Krake likes this.
  6. BNB

BNB Member

Regarding my first inquiry.

I just found this on patch 73 notes (feb 2017)

Combat
    * Removed the caps that have been in place for years that normalized combat damage.
    These caps could affect damage players would do should they exceed standard combat norms and were in place as we researched the exact functionality of combat when outside standard values. (110 Strength, 125 Tactics, etc).
    Strength @ 100 = 20%, Strength @ 110 = 22%, Strength @ 120 = 24%
    Tactics @ 50 = 37.5% , Tactics @ 75 = 43.75%, Tactics @ 100 = 50%, Tactics @ 110 = 52.5%, Tactics @ 125 = 56.25%
    Anatomy is unchanged (0-30%)

Note: A minor problem with the tactics formula was fixed which should result in more stable damage values for players with 25-75 tactics.
    Summary: This will allow for a small increase in weapon damage of around 10% when using strength potions and tactics bonus weapons.

Many inconsistency from info on this site, so not sure what is correct. On the anatomy skill info, it says GM is 20%, here it says 30%. And I also been told u get 10% bonus at GM, which i guess is where the jump from 20-30% comes from? (could really use some clarification here lol)

And the tact damage formula is different than I thought, I thought it was 1% per 1point, but it seems to scale differently.

In the end it doesnt matter that much as I will enjoy the game regardless, but i'm kinda a nerd for crafting characters so I would enjoy knowing the numbers and finetuning my char to the last 0.01% benifit hehe.

Thanks for help so far guys. And all this might be moot if i just drop peacemaking for magery/hiding lol
  7. ham

ham Well-Known Member

Definitely drop peace. fwiw I made a peacemaker and eventually switched it out to provoke. I found provoke to be way more useful and faster to kill things. Peace kinda works but once you get hit or poisoned, you have to stop attacking to heal up. With provoke you can keep whacking things!

Also, there is an item in test server called combat log book. You can try your different stats there.
    You can get one if you go into the test moongate. It's one of the items on the floor.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/renaissance-blog-introducing-the-combat-log-book.1232/
  8. BNB

BNB Member

Thank you Ham! I've decided to drop Peace now

BUT I'm still searching for the formula for damage haha. I even went on the test center.

But it seems testcenter has not implemented patch73 (which contains a ton of combat changes). I say this because I tried some actions that were supposed to be disabled by that patch, but I could still do it on the testcenter, which led me to believe patch73 is not on testcenter and that combat numbers from testcenter does not reflect those on live server. :(
    RavenMagi likes this.
  9. Merek Tybalt

Merek Tybalt Well-Known Member

You can recall with scrolls almost 100% of the time at 30 imagery shown skill. Krake has great advice so I'd follow that

If you must have both music skills, I'd suggest something similar to Keza's suggestion. Drop Peace, Healing and Tactics down to 90.

I have a battle miner with 90 peace and it works on all but the hardest barding difficulty targets without fail. Peace with Provo is mostly just used for crowd control or single targets to aggro. Healing at 90 with 100 Anatomy skill gets you ability to resurrect with bandage, but wont heal 100% of the time like at GM, but still pretty reliable. Tactics is probably easiest to keep at 90, because as you play more you'll almost never have a weapon equipped that isn't boosting tactics +10 to +25.

Also agree with everyone on Anatomy - its effects a lot of things and easy to GM so id leave that one alone.
  10. BNB

BNB Member

Yah I went to cyclops valley for like 45min and used peace maybe once. But provoke every 10seconds haha.

So im dropping peace for something. And now I can have gm tact/magery too but still would love to know the formula for damage haha.

I guess now i need to decide between couple of fun choices.

Magery 60 Med 40 (this will limit me to leather though, but I can take advantage of my mana pool more)
    Magery 60 Hiding 40 (with high dex this will get boosted)
    Magery 60 Poisoning 40 (this is my own idea, unsure if good, poisoning a weapon on the go to stab stuff while they fight each other to speed things up, also can cast stronger poison)
    or just
    Magery 40 Resist 60 (Would resist at 60 be of any help at all actually, with 40magery ill recall with scrolls)
    100 Magery (maybe I can summon daemon to help if i go 50intel?)

Statswise im 100 100 25 atm, but I know I should fix it a bit, any recommendations. Do monsters use mindblast too?
    Btw my friend is following my build so you guys are helping more than me :)
  11. Merek Tybalt

Merek Tybalt Well-Known Member

Magery without Evaluating Intelligence is pretty worthless if you plan on using offensive spells. I would still stick with some peace if you want a bard/dexxer because you will often encounter 1v1 scenarios where you have nothing to provo on and peace on those allows you to assault them down without taking any or little aggro back. That said, if peace goes out raise something useful to your build instead of magery (you need it just to recall scroll) like maxing healing/tactics and using left over skills for resit or hiding or something you can actually use effectively with your build

Basically do one or the other a bard/mage or bard/dexxer. You lose a lot of efficiency trying to combine both skill sets.

100 and 100 dex is good for the build if you just plan on casting the occasional recall or bless scrolls. Just beware you are PvP squishy to MindBlast
  12. BNB

BNB Member

Oh ya I'm just using the magery for invis and heals and recalls, maybe occasional bladespirits, not doing direct damage. BS, EV, summoned elems dont need eval for dmg right?
    I'm planning:
    100 fence
    100 tact
    100 anat
    100 heal
    100 music
    100 provoke

Last 100 points something from the following:
    60magery / 40 hiding
    60magery / 40 med
    30 magery / 70 resist

Any recommendations on this last 100 points? Also don't monsters use mindblast too? I should balance my stats even for PVE?
  13. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Magery.. Eval Int works only to increase the damage output of your offensive spells. Not your pets (blade spirits, evs, summoned daemons) I have the same template as yours (swords instead) but 72 magery to get into wind if i ever wanna mess with the liches there since i rarely see pks in wind. 72 magery/28 meditation.

Stats I do:
    100 Str
    80 Dex (agility potion if needed/desired)
    45 Int

With this build I have good dps with my melee, utility from magery including recalling, magic reflect, gates, blah blah blah...

I didn't feel I needed to gm magery because of the cost and any higher level spells I intend to cast, I can just carry those magic scrolls if need be.

I've run a lot of Amibs with this set up and feel like it is pretty solid. I started this character off with gm resist instead of the 72/28 mage/med and I am happier with the current set up. Encourages you to be smarter with magic reflect, and I am a fan of the utility magery comes with.
  14. RavenMagi

RavenMagi Well-Known Member

Yea, monsters use Mind Blast, your average default stats should be something like 90 90 45. Mindblast doesn't use Eval int for damage, so it can also be your go to if you need to pump a little extra damage out while pvming.
    BNB likes this.
  15. Lord Krake

I'm planning:
    100 fence
    100 tact
    100 anat
    100 heal
    100 music
    100 provoke

30 magery / 70 resist

This sounds like a great build right here. Good offence, good CC, magery for cures and recall (dont worry about magery for healing, really). And the 70 resist for when provo fails or to counteract some minor PK spells, giving you time to recall out OR fight them :)

Hope this has helped.
    BNB likes this.
  16. BNB

BNB Member

Thanks for the help guys! I guess the last hundred points dividing between magery resist or magery med is up to my playstyle. Will test both.

Provoke is very fun :)
  17. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

its all very interesting, but one thing to consider is the fact that you have the use of 3 accounts, giving a minimum total of 15 slots.
    I have a couple of bards, its easy money and I have enjoyed playing them with the templates below:

The Bard Dexxer Tactic is to CC targets and the main DPS is from your close combat wep (option for Archer if you want to be safer)

Dexxer Bard Template
    100 Fence
    100 Tact
    100 Anat
    100 Heal
    100 music
    100 Peace
    100 Magery*
    90 STR
    90 DEX
    45 INT

*Not for offensive spells But at 71 Magery it is 100% recall (with regs) and its nice to be able to Gate!

Mage Bard Tactic is mainly to make mobs kill each other (or summoned EV's to attack the correct targets)

Mage Bard Template
    100 Mager
    100 Med
    100 Eval
    100 music
    100 peace
    100 Provo
    100 Disco
    90 STR
    90 INT
    45 DEX

when It comes to PK's your best bet is to have Balanced stats and run. there is no surviving an attack, if you hang about you either win or lose.
    always use magic reflect + active armor.
    Sheepdog likes this.