OMG... Archery is absolutely terrible...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Zim, Mar 16, 2016.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

ironmans the trammy content here just fine
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Does not make it any less embarrassing.
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

you're a constant downer, huh?
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No, I'm just never going to get over the Taming skill literally fucking this shard hard in the bung for years. It's disgusting and so far from "perfect" it makes me want to choke you out with my bonded dragon's tail.

For example, a reply to a thread about Archery sucking ass and saying that it doesn't suck if you couple it with the most OP skill in the game.
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

oh well shit, then we agree
  6. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

Did this just go from an archery discussion to an "I hate tamers" discussion?
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

my work here is done

muwahaha
    Jupiter and BetaMovement like this.
  8. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Jupiter likes this.
  9. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I wouldnt call it "broke," I just think the "sweet spot" could be a bit bigger.
    Something like:
    0-1 tile away: suckballs
    2-9 tiles away: "sweetspot"
    10-12 tiles away: suckballs
    Baine and Jupiter like this.
  10. napo

napo Well-Known Member

The idea that people are "archers" or "tamers" is ridiculous. This is a skill based game, not a class based game.
    Archer is not a class. It is a skill.
    It's wrong to say that it's useless. If you want to be doing fairly good no-fuss damage over time to a target between 2-10 tiles away from you, archery is ideal, especially if you have slayer bows.

If you want to do burst damage, archery probably isn't ideal. You probably want magery. If you want no-brainer tanky pve, archer probably isn't ideal. You want taming.
    Skills are tools, not identities. Some of you people constantly complaining that archery isn't as good at burst damage as magery or tanky pve as taming are like people trying to hammer nails in with a screwdriver and then complaining about it.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Dun Scaith, puppz, BlackEye and 3 others like this.
  11. DiscoD

DiscoD Active Member

Hey have you tried the difference between GM, +5 - +25 tactics on weapons before? See if they give you that extra damage bonus?
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

napo, we're actually complaining that archery doesn't work as well as any other fucking weapon template out there because it got some fucked up custom rules for accuracy. This is not perfect, not normal and not UO the way anyone remembers it because Archery never had a variable chance to hit based on range and movement anywhere near this era, if not anywhere near this game.

Riddle me this: If the spells you cast got a variable chance to "hit" your target, based on range, how would that pan out? Archery is the only combat skill that has this custom hit chance and it's so obviously fucking it up, only people that don't use archers are like "what's the big deal gais".

Oh right, and the guys who sit on boats chucking arrows in PvM where it doesn't matter at all.
    burgle likes this.
  13. Urza

Urza Active Member

I hate tamers so much I had to finally make one....
    Potion Commotion and wylwrk like this.
  14. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

Archery is too slow, I play one, I like archers, need to be more viable.
    Dun Scaith likes this.
  15. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Doesn't archery get more hit chance if you stand in the right spot? It seems like a boon as much as a curse. Personally, I favor era accuracy in all things so I'd be in favor of archery working exactly the same way it did on OSI.
    That said, it's pretty much working as intended that archery falls a little short of the damage and ease of use as the other weapon skills. There's a big tradeoff for being able to attack at range.

Also, I think that comparisons between skills, especially very different skills, is comparing apples to oranges. With respect to the differences between archery and magery, we could go all day.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I appreciate a bit of a trade-off, but this variable hit chance is pure balls. That's all. There's just no ifs ands or buts about it, a weapon skill versus a weapon skill or wrestle, should be 50/50 all day every day, from every tile in range, regardless of how much you moved. It doesn't make any sense and the very very slim opportunities to take advantage can't even be counted on.
  17. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

It'd pan out fine, you just stun the guy and move into position I imagine. Also, if that means casting spells while running then hot damn sign me up, no escape for anyone at that point
  18. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

haha... You've clearly never played a shard with running while casting. (I happen to have played.. every major one ever.)

You think it'd be hard to get off a recall? ... all the person running has to do is keep you out of LOS and you're fucked.

AND even if you did manage to get into LOS... to try and disrupt my recall... with variable accuracy, there is a chance your first circle spell wouldn't even disrupt the recall anyways.

Escape would be stupid easy.

Running while casting can be incredibly fun... but it's almost a completely different game. All about disrupts, Line of Sight, movement, and spell timers (So you can cast, run out of LOS so they can't disrupt you, and run back out right when the spell is about to drop) ... it's actually incredibly skill based/fun none the less.
  19. Kane

Kane Well-Known Member

if you can cast tele while running that wouldnt be that big a deal, and at worst case it's the exact same scenario we already have then
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

same conversation
    it's just a different year
    just make a tamer​

- UOR

[​IMG]
    DiscoD and BetaMovement like this.