PK Short Term Count Change Proposal

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by snap dragon, Mar 12, 2018.

1. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

The current daily limit for the Pking is 3 shorts/day. In the last week, that has caused my PK to get go into stat 4 times. 2 times for killing an afk recall miner, 1 for using the EV spell on afk tamers (Numero dos), and 1 for checking the items of afk players at the bank - not once due to [effectively] Pking players. The majority of the time i'm actively PKing players while working on avoiding statloss.

Because of this, I recommend changing the short term count limit to be more accomodating to adult lifestyles (which heavily represent the player base) - to do this, the kills allowed for the initial statloss would be increased, with successive reductions when the PK goes into statloss. For example:

Initial allowed to kill without statloss: 20 people/day
    After the first 20: 10 people per short-term
    After the first 60: 5 people per short-term
    After the first 120: 2 people per short-term

As an additional modification, the rate at which short-term counts decay could be increased to help offset the successful PK who kills unattended players and rarely can find real players in the game. However, I don't think that's truly necessary.

I feel this would encourage more player activity and develop rules that fall more closely in line with the player base (and not with our teenage selves back in the 90's). We're not trying to take advantage of the system, but we are trying to maintain a good work/life/fun balance - I think this would help that balance.

Tagging recently active PK players for input: @LanDarr @One @Hydrox @RIN @Ragnar Lothbrok @NerK @Duke Cannon @merlin8666 @Witchcraft @Mandevu @Jakob
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Ruck, Ravn, Cheapsuit and 5 others like this.
  2. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Colour me interested my guy.....keen to hear Yall's opinions.....

Could you give me a scenario like you'd get on a math paper where Billy has 5 apples and eats two?

I gotta know how many apples Billy's got...
    snap dragon likes this.
  3. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

A PK leaves Vesper at 15:30.

A Bard leaves Brit at 15:35.

They will meet on the road between towns.

For full credits - What colour is the bard's shirt?
    merlin8666, Arawn, Poogoblin and 3 others like this.
  4. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Trick question, the bards topless because he just died and isn't about throwing death robe grey into his outfit. I feel you bard.....
    Killian, snap dragon and Jill Stihl like this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    snap dragon likes this.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

sarcasm
    snap dragon and One like this.
  7. snap dragon

[​IMG]
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  9. Skydancer

Skydancer Active Member

My opinions seem rather unpopular, but why should a red suffer stat loss at all?

I say increase the decay time for kills, but take away all the penalties when a red dies.
    Take away a red's access to gate travel and recall. For the same reasons criminals have no access to them.
  10. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

11. snap dragon

I think arbitrary mechanic changes like "can't gate because criminal" are rather silly. You're telling me a wizard magically can't gate/recall because of... what? A guilty conscious disrupting their spells?

Besides that, red is not also a criminal. You can be red, and criminal, or red, and nor criminal. Criminals can't recall, even red ones, but they can gate, which has substantially longer casting time, so it's fair enough. Let's not pretend that just because Jake was PKed at ice fiends that forcing the PK to remain in the general area is going to cause the blue population on the server to go hunt him down. It's 2018, you can be long gone, even on foot, in a matter of seconds. Arbitrary travel penalties just make the game not fun to play.

I think PKing is fun, and PKs add a valuable aspect to the game that we otherwise wouldn't have here. It's the 3 accounts and 24/7 online time that ruin things. In 1999, PKs basically did not macro off counts, and only people who occasionally flipped to red, or wanna be pvpers spent any time in the dungeons as a ghost afking away their time. There's probably a reason there were usually only a few notorious PKs because they managed to kill high volume of players and in that, could not possibly macro off counts. Going from 80 to 100 in 7 skills can be done in a day of efficient afk macroing and also has a slight gold sink in reg cost, and a slight discouragement for opportunistic PKs while still rewarding skilled players.

System should, in my opinion, be adjusted for 3 accounts and 3 shorts/day so that it becomes impossible to kill 9 or more people a day with no penalty. Something like short term counts decaying at a rate with long term counts as a multiplier would suffice.

Have 5 short terms and 5 long? Sure, let your shorts decay in 8 hours. Have 5 shorts and 200 long (like 99% of PKs here), well then maybe your shorts should decay in 8 hours + (long terms/10) or something, so serial stat-loss-avoiders are punished, real PK's wont be affected, and accidentally red or first (few) time(s) offenders aren't put out of the game for too long.
  12. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

How come I was not tagged in this thread?

My PK just ate shit in statloss, gotta re-train him up in 2 days... 140 short term counts isn't macroable.
  13. Unknown_Hero

Unknown_Hero Active Member

I say get rid of statloss all around and allow reds in town.
    Rextacy likes this.
  14. Skydancer

Skydancer Active Member

I feel you on the gate thing, but how else do you bring red players out of their houses? Red's seem to play with training wheels on. They are nearly immune to the playerbase due to being able to just gate jump home as soon as they make their kill.

I also come at this from the perspective of someone who doesn't have a gate-mage to gate me all around when I die... yet. So when a red shows up and whacks me, I'm stuck roaming the land, searching out healers, re-equipping, and etc. Meanwhile, the red just goes straight home and is afk before I even make it to the healer. Idk, perhaps that's a server problem. I rarely see blues unless we meet PvM, else they are AFK in front of bank, recall mining, or in Occlo. Perhaps UO:R is telling reds that all they are good for is jumping into a dungeon to kill a PvM'er and then going back home until they can safely do it again. -- It just seems to be a very shit playstyle that is being so thoroughly supported.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Although, I don't honestly know what good allowing red's in town would be other than giving you an even safer place to drop my shit. I mean, you couldn't kill anybody there. It does nothing to give you more gameplay other than to let you sit in front of bank too. Which, from my perspective, is just rubbing what a red does in my face even more. But hell, it would at least give you the incentive to do something other than search for me. Hell, maybe you would even meet each other and be able to actually -gasp- pvp.
  15. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

I believe the no recall rule was initially implemented to prevent someone from starting a fight (flagging criminal Red or Grey in the process) and then trying to flee via Recall.
  16. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Does my 1 innocent kill 18 years sgo really qualify me to be involved? Fine! Stat loss for blues with murder counts and thieves with steal counts, and fishers with afk gump counts. There... discuss
  17. Unknown_Hero

Unknown_Hero Active Member

Would allow for you to have red factioners.
    Skydancer likes this.
  18. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

http://uorforum.com/threads/a-reds-injustice.30119/
  19. Cheapsuit

20. Cheapsuit

http://uorforum.com/threads/a-reds-injustice.30119/