Platinum System Discussion

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Chris, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I love that idea. I still think it should be like 20 plat for a newbrune. This way just saving up plat is still a cheaper way to get a runebook.
  2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Well this would technically be more expensive, 250 plat for a runebook bless deed divided by 16 (amount of runes you need to complete the scroll) equates to 15.625, plat isn't divadable so i rounded it up to 16.

16 plat x 16 runes = 256 plat.

It's still cheaper to buy a runebook bless deed. Marginally, but still cheaper.
  3. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

True. The "cadillac" feature of the runebook, being actually blessed and storing scrolls, would still make it worth it while keeping the entrance fee of the whole experience lower.
  4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

You could get even fancier with it and have it even more similar to the taming quest by:

Making it so that when you turn in a complete rune scroll, you are given a single rune that when double clicked opens up a gate to an instanced event. You start off in a mystical cartographers and can immediately turn in the rune for a runebook bless deed - OR choose to run the cartographers quest, an event that if completed gives you a final boss drop of 1 of 3 possible hued and named runebooks.

That way vets aren't excluded from benefiting from the new system.

Maybe it's a dungeon map where you have to defeat 3 mobs with seperate mini bosses and a final tough boss to retrieve 3 coloured runes from the bosses pack and turn them in for the new hue book.

At any point you can turn around and just go collect your runebook bless deed instead though, it couldn't be an all or nothing situation.
  5. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Another idea I had was a change to harrower mechanics. I think the changes would result in a lot of fun, a greater distribution of harrower platinum, and still continue to reward the hard work done by champ groups.
    When you place the full set of champ skulls on the altar to summon the harrower, 500 plat should be deposited into your pack. Town criers should send a server wide message, something like "The harrower has been summoned out of the Stygian Abyss and is spreading evil in a random dungeon." The remaining 500 platinum to be rewarded exactly like it is today, via dmg to the harrower through the 3 phases. Harrowers would take an entirely new dynamic, one that I think would provide a lot of really exciting content.
    I think champ groups would still do their thing, especially because they will undoubtedly have a headstart on everyone else in finding and getting the harrower going.
  6. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member

@El Horno I think there was maybe 1 or 2 other people in this thread that actually responded with a solution. So thank you. Sadly you are re-hashing Iago's idea from 3 years ago... There were tons of suggestion in the original Harrower change thread: http://uorforum.com/threads/request-for-comment-champion-system.11994/ and others: http://uorforum.com/threads/is-it-good.16649/. Better late than never (again)??? If I had to put $ on it.. most harries are done during the off hours, you wont find much competition at 2,3,4 in the morning... If you asked me... no more skulls. You kill a champ a skull appears on the alter. Want to do a harry at 2,3,4 in the morning? You better be prepared to champ your ass off to get one to pop before noon (when people actually start playing) or actually risk something during prime pvp hours and champ it up at 8, 9, 10, 11pm. or strategically do a few champs day 1 and do the rest day 2.. and yea bring back star room recall / camping. That was some whiney ass shit that people made happen. I see that as the most simplistic solution without having to change the shitty system.

I still feel that the amount of platinum that is received is way too much for a small minority to get. Back in the good ol' days we were happy to get 20 plat per character. People still did champions and the beauty of it was that lots of people could get little bits of platinum at public events. New players had more use for gold and would sell their platinum at competitive rates. There was an actual market for it. If 50 people showed up on 150 total characters and farmed 3,000 platinum from 1 harry a lot of that would hit the market at 3-5k and the people with money, and the people running the champ, would gladly buy it... a thriving fucking market. It would diversify amongst everyone. It never should of been privatized. and yea... it really was! 1,000 platinum was some arbitrary amount of platinum that was chosen and we were told that the system would be monitored. I don't think it was. I would of rather of seen a price hike due to an unavailability of platinum. I feel like the system is utterly fucked and it was working perfectly fine the way it was before the changes.

The harrower was always packed on EA server's back in the day. Always had someone camping the star room. Was always a fucking madhouse at the end. Thieves everywhere, random big-balled pks trying to kill stragglers, pvmers trying their hand at killing some scrub at the end. That was what we used to have. After the changes....you tell me how it is out there.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

*edited*
  8. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Platinum award that casts magic reflect on your house/tower.

Right @Cheapsuit
    wylwrk and Hollywood like this.
  9. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Neat!

Now come up with a platinum reward that doesn't increase a character's power in any way.
  10. Cheapsuit

*edited*
  11. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

Recall Tile.

Essentially a 1 tile placeable courtyard. When placed you can mark runes on it.

Anyone with access to a rune can recall/gate to the placed tile (and mark). The runes are tied to the tile, not the location at marking, so if someone compromises it you need a new tile, you can't just move it over a bit.

Expensive. Like cost of buying a Keep expensive, so good for those who just don't want one.

I dunno if it's good/bad/been done before, seems easier than custom courtyard houses if folks want that kind of thing.
  12. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

I would prefer to have things added to the plat system that are aesthetic rather than functional as the later can be problematic to balance.

One exception is the blessed rune. I feel it is one thing that could be added to benefit newer players and with blessed runebook scroll idea above, it gives players a goal to work towards. A goal that is incrementally beneficial as they work on it.
    wylwrk likes this.
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

somebody gets it
  14. Cheapsuit

*edited*
  15. Cheapsuit

16. Cheapsuit

17. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

Pet dye tub.

:x
    One and wylwrk like this.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  19. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I'd still like to see the Spellbook Dye Tub, even if it was extremely limited hues.

Along with that, I'd like to see Armor Enamel Tub or Armor Dye Tubs.

This all goes back to a Dev Forum post about the Uniformity of Colors and being able to get matching sets, even if the hues are not rare in any real sense. Pick a dozen or so basic colors that aren't slated for the rare items and use those hues.
    DaTamer likes this.
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Guildstone/vendor removal bomb