Tamer nerf

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by It'sallALark, Jul 4, 2017.

Should tamers be nerfed?

1. Yes, limit pet damage against players and reduce the number of mare slots to 2

36.1%
  2. No, I like hitting a hot key and letting the game fight for me. All kill no skill all day.

63.9%
  1. Namarra

Namarra Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Might get more responses from tamers if this was a better poll. I won't vote on a biased poll and this poll was created to get people to say "Yes, nerf tamers.", not to take honest answers to see what the community actually felt.

If you're interested in an actual opinion, I play a tamer myself and I wouldn't oppose losing 2 control slots. 5 was always annoying but 6 would be a sweet spot. That would make it so tamers couldn't use a nightmare and two dragons/wyrms and they couldn't use 4 nightmares. Instead they'd be limited to a nightmare and a dragon/wyrm (like on normal shards) or 3 nightmares, or take the "Greater Dragon" route and use two dragons/wyrms with no mount. I mean it will obviously hurt tamers in the PvM department (but that's not a big deal) and make defending themselves from Macro spammers elite PKs harder but if you want an adjustment, I feel like that's the only place where it makes sense.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    One, newme and wylwrk like this.
  2. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

This can be said about pretty much anything, though. Can't wait to see what poll we get tomorrow.
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  3. Loxness

Loxness Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

That isn't true Scuba. It's been a debuff for 5 years apparently lol. Fixing something doesn't make it a buff.

But more on topic, yes, make pets do 50% less to players. Or make it exponential based on follower slots used. 8 slots = 50% less, 4 slots = 25% less, etc.....

Or just make it a flat 50% less on fire breath against players. That's usually the OP part. 4 auto triggered fire breathes doing 30+ as soon as you are on screen is extremely lame.

Those would be my solutions.
    Mr. Green, newme, Broli and 2 others like this.
  4. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

Doesn't seem like the majority is so opposed, didn't it win the vote in your poll? For reduced fizzle at least?
    newme and One like this.
  5. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    newme likes this.
  6. binlagin

binlagin Active Member

I resisted making a tamer for the first 1.5months, because the gameplay just didn't appeal to me.... worst decision i've made on the server so far.

Once I got my two additional bonding slots, farming solo ANY non-event spawn is complete breeze.

The amount of gold I can farm an hour is insane with almost no risk.

Lets not talk about triple box tamers.

Taming is wayyyy overpowered and makes every other class uncompetitive in PVM.

Taming in PvP... meh, defensively I agree... they are overpowered, but offensively... they are really weak, if you exploit their AI.
  7. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

Tamers were always overpowered. Even back on OSI. The balancing factor was how difficult and annoying it really was to GM it on live. Not everyone was a tamer because not everyone had the patience for it.
    newme likes this.
  8. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I think people forget that on OSI tamer were way more powerful than here. They were basically untouchable to PKs because with dialup and early broadband you couldn't dance around them tossing para fields etc. Not to mention before that in t2a/early-uor when there was literally no max number of controlled pets!

But there were also very few high level tamers.
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  9. Broli

Broli Active Member

thats true but that was fixed by capping the dragons an mares that could be used to a lower amount then this server. they tried to balance things.
    newme likes this.
  10. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

we could gate out their pets, tamers were a bunch of nothings in pvp really

Throw a gate and watch the majority of tames disappear to rat archers or death rune of your choice (or one tile spot)
    newme and Vishakt like this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

What reasonably could actually be done and accepted to address the proposed situation?
  12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Reduce pet slots to 5 and the problem is solved, the only reason we have 8 slots is because you could only bond one pet initially.
    newme, One and It'sallALark like this.
  13. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I don't see that being accepted at all here. Do you?

14. It'sallALark

Even though drags are op, the main issue is the mare turret, that's why these things are becoming a go to. I've watched tamers swap out the drags for the mares in a pvp situation quite a few times because they are aware it's an overpowered and underbalanced tactic.

I'd simply reduce the number of mares that are able to be controlled at one time to two. Then if drags are a problem later, reduce the damage vs players.

I feel like the next evolution after the all powerful tamer is to remove non consenual pvp and pks and stealing from other players. Bonded weps and armor is a fancy term for item insurance. But who knows, maybe that's what staff and the playerbase will eventually want in order to remove the drama and difficulties of a player harm player ruleset.
    snap dragon likes this.
  15. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I really doubt that would go over well. It's like some people spent time, money, effort to get the perfect 2 dragon and mare combo, or 4 mare combo, then they are nerfed. In situations like this traditionally UO has grandfathered in pets,but in this case that would be extremely unfair for new players who can't have a mare army, and old vets who can and exploit it.

I think "all guard me" pet follow speed is too fast and should be nerfed back to normal walking speed as a nice "first round" of balancing. Then perhaps pet statloss should increase to it's normal level.

Like @It'sallALark said, upping the control slots for mares would go far. But really I think a change from 4 mares to 2 is too drastic. Balance comes in baby steps. Double the total control slots for everyone from 8 to 16, then make mares require 5 slots. (effectively 2.5 slots). Bumping it down to 3 mares total, or some other configuration of that.
    newme, One and It'sallALark like this.
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I wish that had been your original post.
  17. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I know lots have supported the idea of returning to 5 control slots but I dont think that will ever happen here.

Always viewed tamers as OP and a bit boring to play with "all kill" destroying 99% of monsters in-game. My solution has always been not uses dragons, mares, or White Wyrms. Really makes the game much more fun and challenging. Also, my weird dexxer/tamer builds have always been able to keep up with or surpass the standard 2 dragons+mare build in PvM.

Some links for fun, DPS challenge, Ossytank, Easter Town Invasion 2017
    newme and It'sallALark like this.
  18. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

I give this guy a few more of these pages before he rage quits again.

Anyone know where he lives? I'll be marking runes this time.
    One likes this.
  19. It'sallALark

Once again, who are you? I don't think you're a has been as much as a never was.
  20. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

Here long enough to have seen this from you before. It's boring. Move on.