Tamer nerf

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by It'sallALark, Jul 4, 2017.

Should tamers be nerfed?

1. Yes, limit pet damage against players and reduce the number of mare slots to 2

36.1%
  2. No, I like hitting a hot key and letting the game fight for me. All kill no skill all day.

63.9%
  1. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Come to think of it, I am interested in a tamer build and have a couple of questions. What skills are needed with the Ostard build? And how many ostards can a tamer control?
  2. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The notion that being an elite warrior is a rich man's game is the issue with warriors.

With mages, their damage is tied to the GM level of their skill. Yet with a warrior, their damage is not tied to the GM level of crafting. Make GM Weapons great again, and you will fix the real problem with warriors. If warriors continue to risk the entire amount it takes to train a mage when they go out in the field with their good gear, then they are in effect useless.

Warriors were not meant to be the elite characters that you only take off the shelves for events. They should be able to play at their peak all the time without spending millions after every death. The path to that is making GM items only marginally worse than Valorite Exceptional items. Raise them up to closer to that level.

Tie the damage output to the GM Skills vice items of rarity, as it is with mages, and lower the cost of actually running a warrior as a result. Then warriors can be played without having to ruin their gaming experience. As it is, Tamers and mages essentially can be back up quickly. Warriors, not so much. Get this to be more equal among play classes first.

It is simply because of the tied to skill vs. tied to items nature of these play classes that there is such friction. Get back to more of a skill-based game to put everyone on the same level as far as re-equipping. Once you fix that issue, then you can talk about tweaking damage to appropriate levels. Until then, damage tweaks are really pissing in the wind because you haven't fixed the true problem between the classes.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

They only use 1 slot so 8 at once if you're good!

Here is @Keza 's build for frienzied ostards http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/185340

You can also gm taming and use a nightmare. That's what I did to do Amibs but it's a really fun template to play.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Lightshade likes this.
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell Member

Spear Vs Tamer
    The Jerk_12-20_18.34-3.jpg
  6. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

One of my favorite threads. :)
    One likes this.
  7. Cheapsuit

But I won't be able to gate 8 ostards around with only 30 magery.
  8. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Nope, I always have 2-3 accounts going at a time. Right now I use a tracker with magery. Use them to find targets and then gate in my ostard army!
    One and Cheapsuit like this.
  9. Cheapsuit

I have started training on this character, thanks. Sounds like it's gonna be fun and will give me something to do while I wait for pvp balance (I can wish).
    Does anatomy work with vet skill when healing animals? I'm considering this...

Animal Lore 100
    Vet 100
    Taming 100
    Magery 100
    Music 100
    Disco 100
    Med or Hiding 100
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  10. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Animal lore boosts your veterinary heals the same way anatomy boosts your normal heals. However, anatomy adds nothing to veterinary. My build mostly has anatomy for the added melee damage. I also need to heal myself from time to time, but my ostards take most the damage.
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  11. Cheapsuit

Your build sounds more fun, but what do you think of the build I mentioned above? I want something strange lol...does herding offer anything?
  12. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Yes @Cheapsuit most of my builds are designed around having fun more then actually working lol. The tamer build you outlined is actually a pretty standard disco/tamer setup if you take med. Not a bad build considering it offers the highest possible DPS in the game.

If you want to do something "strange" as a tamer, you'ed have to jump off the 2 dragons + mare bandwagon and explore a little. :D
    Nusir likes this.
  13. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Cheapsuit, if you use Meditation as your 7th skill there, you have one of the best powergaming templates on the shard, for killing monsters at least. I wouldn't call it strange, this was my "main" for years :)
  14. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

UO:R... come for the PvP, stay for the taming.
  15. Cheapsuit

I macroed animal lore before training taming. Is that bad?
  16. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

it was a waste of your time, when macroing taming you gain Animal lore like crazy.
    a bit like Anatomy with a melee skill or Eval with Magery.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    wylwrk likes this.
  17. Cheapsuit

I was asking becuz I was wondering if having animal lore would slow down my taming gains. So should I drop lore before training taming?
    I have never played a tamer before.
  18. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

pretty sure the lore wont be a factor, its more used for controlling the pets once tamed, but the time you get into bulls and possibly retamed bulls you would have Gm lore.
  19. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

This is on point. Only thing I’d add is reduce the control slots and if bonding stays increase the skill reduction and make it painful to gain it back.
  20. Rheanon

Rheanon Well-Known Member

I say live and let live. Don't nerf anything, especially fishers :)