Tents, perfected.

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by PaddyOBrien, Jun 28, 2015.

1. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

There was an interesting discussion in irc a while back about how tents used to function on OSI and sadly, removed.

I've played a few free servers in which tents were allowed, and actually given to every new player. If i'm not mistaken, the tents were made to decay after a few rl days, maybe 2 or 3. They could not be refreshed, only moved. They had a backpack secured so people could stash a little bit of stuff, but no lockdowns.

So, why would we NOT want tents?

A mess? - they decay after 3 days. Cannot be refreshed

Hoarding spaces? - allow 1 per account, not per character. If you wanna go further, per IP. This prevents people from plopping a bunch of them down.

How could they be abused? Aside from snagging a housing space, that isn't really a problem here anyway.

They would have similar rules to placing a small house, so it isn't like they could be used back like they were on osi to make courtyards, etc.

I think it would be great for roleplayers and people who play the naturalists. They wouldn't even need to be given to every new player, but purchased from provisioners. How could they be abused, and how would it be a detriment to the shard overall? Discuss!
    English John, newme and Jittery Sauce like this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Having suffered through the tent phase, I'd be saddened to see it implemented here per account and especially per character.
    It becomes a bloody mess and a GM ticket nightmare. Those calls are no fun.

I'd only be swayed if it were one per IP.

The role playing aspect of a naturalist character would be a worthwhile addition at minimal if any impact to the server (see: opinion).
    newme, Jittery Sauce and PaddyOBrien like this.
  3. PaddyOBrien

I think one per IP would work just fine. That would prevent people placing a bunch of them, and they would only be useful if the person wanted to use it right (naturalist char, roleplay, raiding party etc.) That would keep them to a minimum. I could even see them useful for pvp, or even pvm by having a tent placed nearby with minimal supplies needed, as a temporary shelter. But still, 1 per IP would work perfectly.
    wylwrk, newme and Jittery Sauce like this.
  4. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

This has sparked my imagination.

How about a constructable made of the following;

• 2 bedrolls
    • 20 logs
    • 10 cloth
    • 10 kindling
    • 4x4 placement
    • allowed 1 secure container

It can last 1 or 2 days of real life time and after such time has past it crumples to the ground and the chest can be looted by anyone. It would be great for setting up RP scenarios or staking out a house that is in danger of collapsing, which you can store some quick loot in case trouble comes.

*my first impression for said constructable;

hehe.jpg
    Rayth, One, Hawkeye and 4 others like this.
  5. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

I think this is a great idea and is something i planned to discuss with the staff once my guild is officially up and running. As someone who has been rping off and on for over 10 years in different UO formats tents can have a powerful strategical plot for RPers especially.

- I see no problem with one per IP in fact i've even seen them able to place in areas where a small house couldn't.
    - Lasting 2-3 days with only movement no refresh would make people pay more attention to their tent and actually use it.
    - Great use for not only specifically my guild I'm looking to start but also for other guilds to get evolved in interesting plots.
    - Create using skills similar to creating a boat. Needing carpentry, tailoring and possibly tinkering can add item to the craftsman economy.
    - Shows the activity of an area when those people are not there at the moment. You can run through the land and say hmm.. "there is some activity here"
    - Great use for resources gathers that don't have enough magery to gate a mule in. They can place a tent and mine a mountain far from your house or a town.
    - Having them work in T2A would be ideal for adventurers or overall use of that land mass in general

Overall this will open up some interesting additions to guilds and overall plot situations. This will become a great aspect to the direction I am starting a guild and give a start presence to not only RP but also general in game visualization. Making you feel as if you are moving about the land in a nomadic adventuring way. Possibly even encouraging Orcs to roam the lands again. They could have there housing near the fort then use to tents when plotting sieges on cities or other player run towns. I can see someone argueing clutter as a Con for tents. Having one per IP can keep this down greatly as a counter for that Con. Also i believe like anything else new to a game it will be used because its new for a bit but then die down quickly to those that actually have true use for it.

Possibly changing the skill name bowcraft/fletching to survival could make things interesting. This skill could be a used to make these tents as well as the standard bowcraft/fletching skill and camping skill all in one. Just a thought....

A thread with a bit of information and open discussions for questions on a guild I am working on can be found here: http://uorforum.com/threads/attention-adventurers-role-players.10807/#post-93550
    newme likes this.
  6. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Nail on the head.

Requires 75 tailoring to make, 30 camping to place.
    Make it lasting 1 day and 1 per IP and we're done.
    newme and Jittery Sauce like this.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

What would be the purpose of these? Since you have a bank box and can log out at inns...
    newme likes this.
  8. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

Great for Role Players: Nomadic situations, Plot situations, Grouped adventures roaming the land. Perfect for those that don't do the typical "newb" recall to favorite spot of dungeon, kill, recall to favorite bank oh i'm done time to log.... Helpful to those that don't have Magery and cannot gate everything around for others or for mules. Those that cannot even recall. Plots for possible Orcs to raid PAWS or Stormhold giving the affect of a raiding party near any city or player run town. Allowing adventuring groups and other developed plots to drop extra armor bandages and weapons before going on adventures or raids. The timer on the tents is what makes it perfect for plotted seiges and raids in general.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  9. Jittery Sauce

Jittery Sauce Member

Also as I mentioned it would be great for T2A as well. There are some great areas that my last group and I couldn't get all the way through. Cities can be so far away for a run if you can place a tent for a day or two to give more time for trekking through the area. You could even then go get a mule and return to your tent before collapse and trek back with your supply and loot.
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

If these required the same requirements as bed rolls, and could not be placed in housing spots, does not obstruct movement, I think this could gain favor.

I.e. you have to have a secure camp before you can access it. It should be lootable. It should only allow stealing skill to remove items or party members. This way thieves can Participate but it won't be a whole sale looting. And decays in 1-2 days. And it definitely should be a craftable.

I don't think you would need it to be the size of a house to serve the rp purpose. The tent graphic placed by Hiro is perfect. It would basically provide a "stationary" pack horse in the wild.
    newme and Jittery Sauce like this.
  11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I'd hope that you wouldn't be able to ban from tents. It would be annoying to have oranges carrying around a billion tents, they already seemingly have a house to hide in around every corner.
    newme likes this.
  12. PaddyOBrien

In the servers I"ve seen tents on, you couldn't use any house commands inside a tent. No locking down things, no banning anyone, no auto reveal etc. I think that's probably by default too. I like the idea of having a temporary place to stash things rather than banking all the time, like Jittery mentioned.
    newme likes this.
  13. Rayth

Rayth Member

PLEASE implement this, however you need to define the parameters... doooo iiiitttt.
    Jittery Sauce and newme like this.
  14. newme

newme Well-Known Member

I have mixed thoughts on this one. First I can't address the "GM ticket to Nighmare" as I've never owned a tent, nor am I familiar with
    the "glitches" surrounding them. I've only seen tents used back in the day as vendor shops and courtyards.
    I do disagree with the ideas that they should decay in just a couple days. Real life interferes with game play, think the decay rate should be same as house. Also, the idea that you can't ban anyone/thing. Think that option should be put in, even if the other house type options aren't.
    If memory serves right, the tents I remember had one chest, not a back pack.
    I don't have a pure naturalist, but several of my characters roam around the world. The carry bedrolls and gather kindling, if real decides time to leave game. Personally, I wouldn't have need for a tent for these characters.
    All good ideas folks and a interesting thread.

Thanks

Westra/Marjo

Governess of Wispfelt
  15. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

In an ideal world, it would make sense them to decay like a house, maybe a bit quicker but still.

However, although we are role-players, we also players on this shard, therefore any proposition we make must also consider the best interest of the shard. Since we nearly have the map complete for house-placing, a suggestion in this nature also should consider this. This is why we want to get something that's not abusable while also fitting our needs.
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  16. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Only allowed in The Lost Lands!
    newme, Jupiter and ReZon like this.
  17. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Tents worked just like houses did in the era. This was before lock downs and secures existed. You refreshed your tent by simply opening the chest inside the tent. The chest was accessible by anyone with a key. We use to keep the key on a vendor next to the chest (you could make any item on a vendor not for sale back then). Tents didn't allow instant log outs. Tents were the cheap man's way to making a secure courtyard.

This was before the Lost Lands, far from UOR. I don't think they have a place on a shard claiming to be Renaissance era, otherwise I want sushi and origami added. We could sit here all day requesting for items from other eras, but that just makes this shard further away from it's claim of Renaissance.
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  18. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

It is included, it is from beginning to this era.
  19. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that tents were removed in late 1998, maybe early 1999 and that UO Renaissance was released in 2000. Maybe I have my memory and sources incorrect, could very well be.
    newme and wylwrk like this.
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

There are quite a few aspects of this shard's server rules as well as content that are far removed from OSI's UO Renaissance era.

If we're going to dig up and implement things from pre renaissance, I'd like to throw my hat in for bringing back fur armor.

Oops... oh sh_ _

* beep *

John Spartan you are fined 50 credits for your sad attempt at derailing a thread.
    newme likes this.