Stealing is so nerfed for any reason?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by MaryKate, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

but what if he has a letter he needs sent to his grandmother

or a asthma inhaler, or an epi-pen

:confused: You have to think of these things wylwrk o_O
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... of course I have. I am wylwrk after all.

Unless you belong to one of the aforementioned groups...
    The guards have been instructed to hallywhack first and ask questions later.
  3. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I would like to recant my statement, after further investigation, I've come to the conclusion that you can only stay blue after a successful steal, if the target is another thief or npc. Stealing from a blue player that is not a thief will turn you grey 100/100 times. So actually both sides of this argument are right.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  5. Everlast

Everlast Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Black Tortoise and One like this.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Active Member

Thanks for this :-D

I just finally got my 4xGM thief finished macroing, and this really helped me understand what its like on UOR. I too was a big thief in era OSI, and am quite disappointed that I cant steal outside of town. Thats like, wtf?! Im going to try anyway, im in a bit of disbelief...

Wait, so you CAN steal outside of a town? :confused:
  8. Cheapsuit

1. You don't need a thief to house loot, anyone can do it. So that doesn't qualify as a thief perk.

2. No. A murderer should not have the right to call the police and report a robbery.

3. Love the server despite the thieves conspiracy, and there definitely is one.

4. Keep up the good work admins and player base.
    Althorn likes this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. Black Tortoise

Yah I was experimenting with it last night. Just before typing my last post, I went into Ocllo dungeon, and tried to steal from a monster, and got a "You can not steal in this location" message. Based on what I read earlier, I assumed that was confirmation that "you cant steal outside of a town". I guess its just the noob dungeon then.

However, Ive found some of the previous decried limitations on stealing to be untrue. You can most certainly steal from a stack of items without being guard whacked - I managed to snach a pile of regs 2x from Ocllo AFK'ers at the bank - no guards reacted, and no PCs reacted either, I was able to dance around as a grey unchecked. Though, I died about 10 other times trying to do this (guardwhacked).

There is the "stealing without getting caught" mechanism as well, though I havent tried it on another player enough to see if its possible player vs player. Its very frequent for NPCs though, as I made about 1k in 30 mins of running around looking for NPC fighters / travelers / adventurers to steal gold from. Im almost always blue after stealing piles of gold from them, and rarely get guardwhacked for it.

Its not a profitable enterprise, and it does feel very limited - nearly pointless outside of a town due to many variables and conditions. Thieving isnt anywhere near a viable build and there isnt really room for rouge-ish professions on UOR (except maybe a sneaky musician). Thieving is mostly reduced to a fun quirk you can engage in while your PvP/PvM alts macro in the background.

The chance for holiday coins is one thing, but Im not really into full out grief play, so I wont be building a character entirely for the rare off chance that I can snag a Christmas Scroll from an unsuspecting noob (though Id probably do it and hand it back lol). PvP thief seems out of the question, causing mischief among a big PvP battle as well, and generally doing anything but roleplaying a suicidal beggar is beyond the range of capabilities of this shard. I guess, theoretically, "once factions are fixed," one could be a spy?

So I do agree that thieving needs a major overhaul - untrammeled and more aligned with the OSI-era thieving. Thieves are the secret spice in PvP that stop it from boiling down entirely to LJ or Spear dexxer vs stun mages - it needs to be perfectly reasonable for a thief to steal 50 bandages or 50 ginseng at once, to throw that extra chaotic element into the battle. Im fine with the extra guardwhacking chances at the banks (as long as it isnt 100% chance, which Ive proven it isnt). Im fine with NPCs being a little more vigilant about it around town (though they dont seem to be too watchful of me!). But I think the limitation on chance-to-alert from a stackable item, or the limitation on how much is stolen from a stackable at once, is the central point to why thieves are nerfed into a meaningless background element.

For now, though, Ill be contented to roleplay an insane suicidal beggar ;).
  11. InnocentCrafter

InnocentCrafter Active Member

Same. Sorry @snap dragon . But man, those blues I stole from at a bank sure looked harmless!
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

13. Black Tortoise

Yah I def agree - one should not be allowed to be blue after stealing from players. I was just trying to confirm or deny some of the other things stated about stealing mechanics, from earlier in this thread.

I am all for increasing combat-ability (without resorting to melee/weapons/magic) of stealing, and also increasing its viability at PvE/PvM. I agree that there is no reason at all to make it "easier" to steal at a bank or in town - the possibility is already there, its just the amount a thief can snag at once that needs fixed. I want a thief to be meaningful outside of a town :).
    One likes this.
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

15. Cheapsuit

As I remember on osi, one could steal from a player and remain blue on occasion to everyone except the person he stole from. You would always be grey to the victim. So you could steal from someone without going grey to everyone, it was rare, but possible, but was impossible to not go grey to the victim. At least that's how I remembered it.
  16. Black Tortoise

Yes I can confirm thats how it worked, at least while I was a thief ~17 years ago.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

18. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Na-ah, because this would only happen occasionally; how is that griefing? It's more like a thief striking a critical hit.
  19. One

One Well-Known Member

20. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

Thieves are nerfed to shit on this server because it's free to play. There is no monetary benefit to placating players of thieves by not nerfing their characters. If OSI hadn't made $10/month from their thieves they would've been nerfed (a lot sooner) too.

I played one for years. Most of the time I stole from noobs at brit GY and then called guards on them when they attacked me and followed me into town. Then I stole from noobs and mana dumped them when they attacked me and took the rest from their corpse.

It's always been about exploiting your marks lack of knowledge of the game. IE. fucking over noobs.

What does a thief at 10% life in a death robe risk losing?

I'd be fine with having thieves the way they were as long as they had permadeath.
    RIN and One like this.