7 forum threads with 100+ player comments should be evidence enough... MAKE CHANGES TO ARCHERY!

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by swiftfeet, Apr 5, 2015.

1. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

I am down. Watching the "skill" of the axer/macer hit for 50-60% to dead while my bow is doing 12-24% is a 2.5 year slap in the dick. Thanks that is all.
  2. napo

napo Well-Known Member

You pay a price for being able to deal ranged damage.
    I think your problem is further compounded by the fact that this experience was likely in CTF, where everyone is using top end runic weapons. Unless something has changed while I was not paying attention, I don't believe that runic bows are in yet. It's not quite fair to compare a bow to a top end runic weapon.

I don't think CTF is a particularly good testing bed for much of anything, due to the prevalence of top end runic weapons and the heavy team stacking. When you take the risk out of pvp, the balance is naturally disrupted.
  3. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

There is Runic Bows which I do use. And I go against the the "stacked" teams on account I wish to get better. Been playing an archer for 2.5 years on this shard and if you have not noticed there is an entire server who wishes for changes. Also CTF are prob the most fair pvp you will get on this server and I don't understand why people are against them.
  4. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Stacked teams makes it hard to gather meaningful results for both sides. It's as hard to gauge how effective you are when you are getting stomped as it is when you are doing the stomping.
    I didn't know that runic bows had been added yet, I suppose that does level the playing field somewhat.

I'm not categorically opposed to a buff for archery, but I do have some concerns. If archery is buffed so much so that 2-3 hit kills are possible by combining a good bow hit with spells (similar to how halberds were OP on UOSA) it would have an extreme impact on the pvp scene. Archers that can shoot while in a full run would likely be a problem too.
  5. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Agreed.

Im not entirely sure this is actually a good idea but the first thing that comes to mind is to perhaps up the hit chance for archery similar to how all weapon classes are already vs pvm (75% chance to hit in pvm @ 100 weapon skill)
    Keza likes this.
  6. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

I have always said the accuracy could use a bit of a fix but it seems staff is against this and the only way to get 50% would to revert archery back to the original way (which is terrible). Even when you, sneaky, hatecrime and myself were testing the "running shot" I have always maintained accuracy could use a bit of a bump. I think the changes back then were great and it looked like archery was on the right track in being competitive but after the first change it has taken a back seat for near 2 years. TBH archery hits range from 12-24% as far as I can tell with the runic bow (also 4 archers cannot kill a person with parry, you can see in my latest video). I have never wanted archery to be OP whatsoever just some needed buffs. Would I like the accuracy to be fixed? sure. Its a start but I think the damage needs to be looked at also.

I personal would like to just get on test and try different changes and give my personal feedback. I would be satisfied if any staff member would say "Archery is being looked into" at the very least.
    Keza likes this.
  7. Malus Blackstaff

Malus Blackstaff New Member

As much as I would love to see archery become a viable PvP skill, sadly it is never going to happen.

There are alot of MMO games out there that really give archers some love, they've evolved and recognize that archery can be kickass along with melee and magic, this game still has the potential but unfortunately will probably never take it to the next level.
  8. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I completely agree with @swiftfeet on this. In all the threads about archery, I have not seen the staff make any comments good or bad.
    We all know the staff is volunteering to maintain, manage, and improve this server. And it is greatly appreciated! With that in mind, the two main changed I recommended should not be a large burden of work for the staff.
    • Increasing heavy Xbow speed. This is a minor alteration to the game coding that could be opened on the test server.
    • Adding a special attack. A little more coding work, but nothing as extensive as reworking archery completely. Also something we would all love to see on the test server.
  9. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

Archery is support combat. With the benefit of not having to deal with actual close hand combat I disagree that anything should be tweaked.

I'm sure it would be fun though. Plus swiftfeet I have seen you rage hard in ctf. You do well for yourself.
  10. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

You are the only person who has said it shouldn't be tweaked. Do I agree archery is a support combat, no. I don't think it should be top dog when it comes to dexxer vs dexxer but an alternate playstyle which I tend to enjoy. The buffs to accuracy and a special move IMO would be minor but yet an improvement to archery. Sure I do well in CTFs, not really much I can say on this. I think the argument is comparing archery to the other skills...why would you GM archery when it gives no special and lackluster accuracy compared to other weapon skills and I think this is why archery has been talked about in multiple threads for a few years now. I could just jump back on my axer but I am determined to get archery where it should be regardless how long it takes.
  11. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

Archery is support. Otherwise I want my spear to hit from 9 tiles away.
  12. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

K....
  13. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

Sorry dude. Didn't want to troll but give it up. I've seen you go ham trying to jack up archery ever since you grabbed a runic bow. I'm not posting a '100 players comments WILL CHANGE NOX MAGE EFFECTIVENESS' or that alchemy should boost pots.

Calm your tits. Your archery is fine.

Xbow is slow AF, though.
  14. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

Clearly I am not going to argue with someone who claims they want spears to hit from 9 tiles away. Also I have been playing an archer for near 3 years and have always said it needed accuracy and special move buffs. Also there is an entire server stating archery needs changes. You clearly have no idea what you are even talking about and or why this topic has been in forums for so long. I would appreciate if you didn't comment on this thread anymore because people that actually understand what is going on are giving good feedback and not saying random shit like "alchemy to boost pots" which purples are in fact the only reason I even get kills.
  15. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

Lol ok. Can't wait to see 100 people posting they want a special move for archery.

Oh and I've played you in ctf. Exp pots are not your strong suit. I obviously have no idea what I'm talking. I've only started UO like 4 days ago.

There are like 8 people here that say they want changes but all of them are ridiculous. You act like the whole server is on your archery boat.

I would rather see alchemy get what it deserves over this. I would rather see nox mages get something over this. Is that irrelevant or am I the only one that says your argument is weak and always has been? Sorry not everyone is going to suck on your arrow tip.
    Comstock likes this.
  16. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

The spear thing was a joke. Sarcasm. Not real.

Fucking moron.

I really meant I want my spear to cast bladespirit and eq everyone near the hit. Maybe heal me too.
  17. swiftfeet

swiftfeet Active Member

18. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

No I meant I can't wait to see how hilarious it looks.

Again.. Refer to my spear casting blade spirits.

You must love getting the 'yeah we're considering it' from the staff every time.

Keep it up. I admire the persistence.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yes, trash talking is definitely helping the conversation. /facepalm

Alchemy buffs to purple pots would unleash the most commonly known to be OVERPOWERED mage templates in existence. As it stands, everything is fairly balanced, just short of Nox Mages. I think everyone who's built and played one can agree that there's room for improvement in the nox mage. Particularly higher level poison fields and better chance/range for DP casting. The only people who balk at the lack of Alchemy buffs, are the people who live for OP classes and insta-kill combos (which don't and won't ever exist here, hopefully). There are no 1v1 combinations that do not have a counter. Whether or not you deploy it successfully is not a mechanical issue. (aka: balance)

As for the archery changes, the information is all over these forums for you to see. Do we need 100 people to come to you directly to say the same thing? The answer is no. We've been having this conversation for a long while and it's just not a top priority. Telamon does care about it and I'm sure he gets it but is extremely cautious of making changes that make a monster class.

At a base level I think everyone can agree that the one thing that Archery could really use right now is stable accuracy, like every single other weapon class. Being nerfed for movement when your attack is range based, was two steps forward, one step back. Reverting completely would wreck it because the 2s lag to shoot form Beta was literally garbage. I would love to see the range/movement based accuracy removed on test so we could actually get a feel for how effective that might be in actual combat.
    Jack of Shadows likes this.
  20. Exorcist

Exorcist Member

Alchemy should have some type of value on a pvper. That is all. Maybe not exp pots but maybe buffs.

Archery boosts are hairy.. And should def not have the same accuracy as hand to hand. Think for a second.. I know it's not real life but do you have the same accuracy as someone with a sword? No.

My scribe archer does fine. Do I want him to get better? F yea. Do I want to play against 3 scribe archers with the same accuracy as my axer? Nope.

There is no right answer. That's why there are way more priorities then this.