A Red's Injustice...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cheapsuit, Jan 7, 2018.

Should reds be allowed in town and have stat loss taken away?

1. Yes, it will bring more pvp to the server.

31.7%
  2. No, i get scared at the sight of reds, and don't want them anywhere near me.

58.5%
  3. Makes me no difference either way, just as long as there's more action.

11.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Imbol

Imbol Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I don't mean any offense, but I don't buy that.

PvP can't be geared towards endgame players because like 99% of the wild is full-loot, open PvP.

PvP isn't geared towards anyone. It just exists, largely uninhibited, which makes it rife with griefing.

My experience with reds has been that they kill everyone on sight, usually without even looking at what they're attacking. To be clear, I'm not saying that that's a problem... But it's the reality of it, which is a far cry from how you've defined PvP.

That's not very endgamey. It's just attacking everything on sight, regardless of skill level.

I remember I was leaving Britain, unmounted and unarmed. I was just logging.

Saw like 6 or 8 dragons or whatever attacking a mob. I entered, "Oh, wow." and walked up, staying some tiles away.

They just "all killed" me and dry looted me. I was on the server for a week, wearing and carrying total junk. They gave it back when I asked (and then offered some condescending 'advice') but the point remains.
    Dr Doom likes this.
  2. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

I agree, that's what it's become here. But that's not what it was in UO:R. PvP was the end game. Factions, Order/Chaos.
  3. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

More PvP-specific events, you think? Seems like reds have no trouble disrupting PvM stuff like champ spawns.

Went to one in Despise; they showed up, killed everyone, brought it all to a halt. Champ never spawned to my knowledge. Was still a pretty long ways away.
  4. SativaGreen

Yeah, definitely. Just more incentive to existing systems like Factions, Warring and Order/Chaos.

Maybe Platinum for Faction players in towns or something along those lines. There's ways they can incentivize the players who are looking for mutual PvP. If the rumors of a faction buff/overhaul is coming, that would be welcomed.
  5. Orange

Orange Well-Known Member

You want more pvp? you want more pvpers that other pvpers can fight and stop ganking newbies. Simple, donate RL money (bout 5 bucks) for ethy and blessed runebooks. Most pvpers have played this game for 2 decades now they're not interested in farming gold and killing dragons. If they whole donation thing turns you off then simply make runebooks blessed and ethys attainable easier. Non of this will happen mind you but id bet within 6 months of those changes alone there would be double the pvp on this server. To many whinny trammies though whould be hurt because their wealth would decrease. Side note these changes i purpose would decrease my wealth for 25m so dont give me that "you wont lose anything" line.
    Evil Dead, Althorn and SativaGreen like this.
  6. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Maybe the phrase pvp wasn't the best choice of words. Like scuba said, it's more about activity in general. This is not a "I can't find pvp anywhere" thread.
  7. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member

There are always fights if you actually put effort to look. Typically it helps to know when larger groups are on. I never did UO pvp before so it was a lot to learn and I wanted to so I practically begged ppl to teach me how to pvp, doing so I was able to get a good idea of who the active pvpers/ groups where from that. but Usually from 5pm-1am est times I’ve noticed most activity. My group will always fight... reflect to my thread in trash talk and you will see a list of competent pvpers. There is pvp here.

Get involved in idocing & pvp will find you trust me :)

& if you actually want to work to improve your skills pm some of my group they will help you and many others on here will, I assume cuz a few helped me out when I was a noob.

@Pax Romain is always down to fight and is literally the best 1v1 pvp on UOR. The guy will drop you 10 out of 10 100% everytime unless you actually know what you are doing & even when you do figure it all out he will prolly still shit on you lol. So if he fights you and shits on you, go back work on your shit and keep at it. I can imagine he will get bored and start to ignore you if you don’t pose any challenge. But if your good he will def fight you, even if you suck im sure he will entertain it sometimes the mf lives for pvp.

But there are a lot of high caliber pvpers here as well I’m not going to go to list them all but just know if you do manage to beat pax consistently you are the best (Good luck!) Even though the shard is essentially more Pvm influenced the pvp mechanics are still the best and most rewarding to learn in my opinion. Pax sets the bar here for 1v1 pvp he is the pinnacle it’s great that he does idk what it would be like here if it wasn’t for him honestly. Not dickriding just speaking facts, anyone who has fought the guy knows you have to execute perfectly to attempt him lol.

Hopefully we can all get together and get This faction shit going. Ive never done it but it seems like a shit load of fun if we can organize it properly. This is an excellent thing we all should work together to make way more active.

Stat loss

I only run red toons aside from one of my blue tamer & a dexer who I used to run Amibs/Xmas scrolls with... that gets no use anymore but I don’t really need to farm anymore so he will prolly just collect dust lol.

Reds need stat loss, the stat loss system here is actually kind of soft and forgiving due to having 3 accounts. So I don’t see issues with this. I like your idea of increasing activity just read what you type before you post reply on here @Cheapsuit you have good ideas but some are far fetched you have to take into account the tons of xfactors and variables before considering suggesting changes to this game. a small change can effect so much it’s pretty crazy lol.

Would be cool if pvp got some more attention from @Chris but it’s his shard and you have to be greatful for what he gives us as it is. I think it’ll come in time hopefully sooner or later.
    Balian, ElleFeyRa, One and 2 others like this.
  8. SativaGreen

I just got on this server but when I played Atlantic, PvP was all I ever did. I was there from 01-14. Been through all the changes.

I have a few PvPers ready to go, just need a group to run with.
    an evil carebear likes this.
  9. Minax

Minax Well-Known Member

Come fight!
    Althorn likes this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Pirul and El Horno like this.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I don’t know which shard you played, but guards insta-whacked in towns since before Second Age in Europa.

The idea of reducing/eliminating stat-loss and reds in town is not new here. Both have been proposed before, and tore down before. A brief serch in the forums will yield:

http://uorforum.com/threads/allow-reds-into-towns.24732/
    http://uorforum.com/threads/actually-punish-pks-when-they-die.18997/
    http://uorforum.com/threads/stat-loss-extending-decay-rate.17853/
    http://uorforum.com/threads/stat-loss-for-reds.13664/
    http://uorforum.com/threads/stat-loss.13613/

I can go on and on and on, but I suggest you read those threads first, and then bring a “new” argument to support your suggestion.

I said it in another thread, the game we play is called Ultima Online. It is based on the principles of the Ultima world. This means that virtues are paramount, and diverting from them has consequences.

Now, there’s many other games where you can PvP without consequence. They’re not as great as UO, but they’re out there.
    Dalavar, One and Poogoblin like this.
  12. One

One Well-Known Member

13. SativaGreen

Prior to Oct 4, 2000 (publish 7), guards did not instant kill. Guess you guys don't remember the good days.

When you were a criminal and someone called guards, they would come running out of the bank toward the players, you could run them all the way through Britannia. It was pretty awesome.

On October 4, 2000, the following was published:

• Town guards that are generated by UO, and function inside of designated town guard-protected areas, will function differently when responding to a criminal action. The guards will now be able to use a lightning attack. This lightning attack cannot be resisted by a player, nor can it be reflected. The lightning attack will do the same damage as the guard's halberd attack.
    One likes this.
  14. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Oh, so before they insta-killed with a halberd and then they insta-killed with lightning. HUGE game-breaking change.
    One and Huzke like this.
  15. SativaGreen

It was a game breaking difference. You were actually "on the run". You could run to a undisclosed location and resurrect before someone found your body.

You could also have friends outside of town ready to kill the guard. The game was much different than this version of "UO:R".
  16. One

One Well-Known Member

17. SativaGreen

Publish 16 - Changes to Felucca
    Contents
    "These changes will enhance PvP in Felucca's dungeons and Lost Lands by changing the treatment of stat loss, loot loss, and murderers, as well as detailing some new rewards that may be found in the Felucca dungeons and Lost Lands areas."

It's funny that they went and changed stat-loss right around when Powerscrolls were added... It's like they wanted to increase PvP or something... hmm. If only we had those problems and some sort of solution to follow...
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  18. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Publish 16 was by far the best era of the game, absolutely everything was balanced. If only they had stopped there.
    A warrior could compete with a freaking tribal spear in pub 16.
  19. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

I remember that patch. I put my account up on eBay a few hours later, sold it for the buy it now price and took my girlfriend on holiday to Fuerte Ventura. It was great.
    Pirul likes this.
  20. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I stopped playing when Third Dawn came out. That shit was the end for me, so I was looooong gone when publish 16 rolled around. Which, BTW, is A LOT after UO:R.
    One likes this.