A Red's Injustice...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cheapsuit, Jan 7, 2018.

Should reds be allowed in town and have stat loss taken away?

1. Yes, it will bring more pvp to the server.

31.7%
  2. No, i get scared at the sight of reds, and don't want them anywhere near me.

58.5%
  3. Makes me no difference either way, just as long as there's more action.

11.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This makes for an interesting discussion and it would be amusing to see reds stroll into town, but I'd be interested to know if anyone here really believes that Telamon would seriously consider making this change, even if apparently a majority of the registered accounts on the forum voted or argued in favor of it. This server is a huge success IMO and it would be too risky to make such a radical change that could potentially decrease the population, even if there were compelling arguments that suggested it may actually bring more players. People are fickle and major changes could rock the boat and throw some players overboard. Meanwhile content like Xmas scrolls, Halloween and other holidays seem to be wildly popular among the player base so I think that is where a lot of energy could be (and already has been) safely applied.

Also, I found this amusing considering the wording in the poll above when read alongside the following:

From this poll: http://uorforum.com/threads/should-the-anti-macro-check-be-excluded-from-fishing.27832/

"Yes, there is no benefit from afk fishing."
    "No, I like innocent people being jailed."

From this poll: http://uorforum.com/threads/tamer-nerf.24989/page-3

Page 3 post#51: "First of all, to the original poster, I honestly believe when you load the questions in a poll, it will not do you any justice."
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    One, Dalavar, El Horno and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I believe how the poll questions are worded, are effectively hurting @Cheapsuit and anyone else who might agree with him.

A. 2 questions in same poll? C'mon! I agree that reds should be allowed in town with obvious restrictions, but because i believe that reds should have the consequence of stat loss even more so, i voted no. If they were separated into 2 different questions, at least one of them would have had a yes from me for however much that counts.

B. The questions are phrased in such a way that you come across as a guy that whoever doesn't vote your way, is lesser of a person as you. You argue that you should have an opinion, but why phrase the questions in such a closed off way that others are assumed "scared of reds".

This is a really poor attempt and tactic to round people up to make your point to Chris and if he went based off of poll results, this would have set you and the other 4-6 players several steps backward.
    One, Sheepdog and Poogoblin like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  4. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

I loaded the poll intentionally because as stated in the first sentence or so, many will scorn at the idea, so I figured I'd fuck with them first, knowing good and well the flaming was coming.
  5. Cheapsuit

It is because without taking away stat loss, people aren't too keen on being red in the first place, which makes allowing reds into town, quite pointless. The idea is the increase activity, for this suggestion to work, both must be included.
  6. Cheapsuit

Wow, man, you missed the best UO era ever. I swear there was nothing like this pub.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Nah bud. For as imperfect as it was, Second Age was the best. You had nowhere to hide if you wanted to farm. Everyone was fair game, and it was AWESOME!!
  8. Cheapsuit

Maybe, but I didn't start playing until June 2000, I was like one of the first tramlets ever.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Yeah, you missed what to me was the best. ALL the population in one facet. I still remember training up swds and parry at the bone wall and have real ballsy reds run up to kill as many noobs as they could before being ganked by a bunch of noobs.
    Hollywood likes this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Poogoblin and Cheapsuit like this.
  11. Cheapsuit

Good point of view. One I hadn't considered. I still want to be a care free red. And I like ghettos.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    One likes this.
  12. Hollywood

I remember the wall very well and one of my fondest memories. Really helped a lot of people team up and meet each other. I can still hear the screams through deceit whenever I go through there from Apocalypse and Ronald Mcdonald cleaning the place up of blue noobs on Baja.

Anyway, stat loss and allowing reds in town are not mutually exclusive. No idea why someone would be afraid to go red when 3 accounts are available per player.

This thread has brought up nothing new though. Just a way that makes the argument look bad. Chris already has his visions and he runs a free to play server thats also not pay to win. He could literally flip the switch on the back of his computer and never give UoR a second thought, but this is his project, not his job. We choose to give donations, we're not obligated and he still pays out of his own pocket for a bunch of bums including myself to play a 20 year old game.

If you really want to draw attention to pvp then stop making ridiculous polls about it and start making videos, contests, and spread the word. These threads aren't gonna change anything, but actual effort into gameplay and creating content for others to be involved in, would.

Watch some vids to get some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=sdl1xdhRUxU

http://uorforum.com/threads/uor-video-contest-2017.24718/
    One likes this.
  13. Cheapsuit

had I put this in the suggestion forum, would you feel the same way?
  14. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Funny how stat-loss is simultaneously both a "joke" and also the best solution to give consequences for player murderers.
    One likes this.
  15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

It is a joke because you can kill quite a bit of people everyday without ever going into stat, and even if you did die in stat, it would take you, what? 15k? 20k? To buy regs to train skills back up while you sleep.

It is also the best solution because no better consequence has been implemented. Personally, I would love to see short term counts decay in 24hrs. and skill loss raised to 50%. Let’s see PK’s run balls deep in stat. Now THAT would bring the kids out to play. Have a REAL incentive to kill the reds. That’s what you want after all, isn’t it? PvP, right? Or do you just want to murder PvMers without consequence and label it as PvP?
    Holden and One like this.
  16. Hollywood

http://uorforum.com/threads/uniting-the-factions.24743/

http://uorforum.com/threads/recall-the-middle-road.24535/

http://uorforum.com/threads/archery-and-the-lack-of-a-special-attack.1088/

http://uorforum.com/threads/things-that-are-wrong-here.29152/

These are all good examples of how to go about suggesting something. Even Blaise who is the infamous pot stirrer was able to present his suggestion in a "hey lets discuss this in an intellectual and logical way" instead of phrasing questions where if someone doesn't vote your way, they are scared of reds instead of someone who might just disagree with one or both of your questions.

If I were checking out new servers looking for PvP action and I came across this thread that's insinuating there is hardly any or no PvP for me to join in on, I would not be interested. If I were to come across more threads that was more about "Hey, I'm going get my group together and we're gonna look for some action on friday and saturday nights" Or, "PvP SHOWDOWN, BRIT GY" I would be way more enticed to check out the server PvP.

But only a few actually put forth that kind of effort and I have not seen that from you. Only these un-encouraging threads. This kind of gameplay is more on the players to round people up, than it is for Chris GM's to do. Let Chris do Chris things. Players need to do Player things. PvP is decent enough to get shit started but your effort has been more geared towards a thread that will go no-where opposed to actually getting down and dirty.
    One and Pirul like this.
  17. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Stat loss is a joke, clearly, to established players. It only worked when everyone owned one account. Here, is has little or no meaning, as pointed out countless times in this thread.

So clearly it needs to be reworked. OSI felt the same way, which is why they removed stat-loss (short term counts) in dungeons while increasing rewards from them. Something should be done, and from the looks of your posts, you clearly agree too.

Because the current system is obviously a joke.
    Imbol likes this.
  18. Cheapsuit

Are you just talking just to be talking now? I I done nothing you just mentioned I did in this thread. Did my scared of reds remark hurt you?
  19. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I agree something needs to be done, and I suggested it already. 24hr shorts and 50% skill loss on death in stat.
    One likes this.
  20. Hollywood

Yes, it hurt me so...

Seriously? I'm trying to give you suggestions on how to make more competent threads that are more about discussion and progression instead of these poll questions that completely back-fired at you. Are you seriously happy with the results that you think I may not be onto something with what I've suggested to you?

I play here consistently while you are more spectator than player, so who would be the one talking just to talk?
    Dalavar and One like this.